Keel Types

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deborah Tobias

What is the best keel style for Miami's Biscayne Bay? A fixed keel seems good if you stay in the channels, as there is less "going on" with it. Do the winged keels get stuck in the mud?? What's involved with the swing keel - does it take up much room in the boat and is it more trouble?

G

Greg Stebbins

Wing Keels

I've sailed with a wing keel for a little while now and have never grounded in mud. My Hunter 23 has a 2.3 foot draft under the keel but the retractable rudder hangs 3 feet. I would be more likely to drag the rudder 1st. I don't even try to beach my 23. I don't think there's any sort of fixed keel Hunter that you can beach (more than once that is).

D

Darrel Richards

Grounded in Miami

Debbie, Biscayne Bay is generally shallow, like much of our water in South Florida. What ever you do, you will need shallow draft boat. I have sailed in Biscayne Bay for SORC, Columbus Day etc, in a Beneteau 38 that drafts 4'10" with out any problems. You do have to watch for the channel markers, such as the entrance to Dinner Key Marina and Coral Reef Yacht Club. Also, when you go south to the feather beds you must stay in the marked channel. To the east, there are shoals around stiltsville, but all are marked. I have a Hunter 23 and sailed through the bay coming back from the Keys. It has a winged keel and does just fine. The performance of the boat is actually very good. The winged keel works good. Biscayne Bay is great sailing grounds, so find a boat you like, with shallow draft and have a blast. Hope to see you at the Columbus Day Regatta in October. Darrel H23 Wind Dancer Deerfield Beach, Fl.

B

Bryan

No problemo

Large portions of Biscayne Bay are over 6'. Most of the bottom is more sandy than muddy. Closer to shore is going to be too shallow for whatever you draw. So don't worry about it too much. In general, if I had an option, I go for a shoal or shallow draft keel. My 35 draws 4 1/2 has a wing keel and is shallow enough to go thru the major cuts and and into Boca Chita. Feel free to call me at 305-371-8585 if you have any questions.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

The dissenting fin-keel lover

Deborah, Without a doubt, a wing keel will let you get closer to shore than a fin keel. I swinger will let you get closer still. However, if you have decided on a Catalina 22, if I were you I would buy the fin keel. For all of the reasons pointed out in other posts, you need to draw little water in the area you will sail in. Notice, however, that the c22 fin only draws 3' 6". This is less than the wing models others have cited. Fin boats sail better than wing boats, all other things being equal. Unless the wing is substantially heavier, the fin's extended righting arm will make the boat stiffer. As it happens, not only is the wing not heavier in the C22, the fin is 50 pounds heavier. This will make a stiffer, better sailing boat in all conditions except lunch time. I'd buy the fin. In fact, when I looked for my Catalina, I did. Of course in Maine, the water is deeper, except where its populated by boat eating rocks. YMMV, Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Dennis Churchill

Deborah, One thing no person has mentioned yet here is that the wing keel will be drawing more water than the fin if you are sailing and not motoring. Make a T with your hand and turn it to the side to see. With the little draft on the 22, I would prefer the fin, but I would think it wouldn't better too much anyway. Of course, around here, the way to go is a catamaran. Better for pulling up on the beaches! Anyway, whatever you get, enjoy it and be safe. Dennis. Provo, TnC, BWI

Status
Not open for further replies.