Keel Seam

Sep 10, 2019
Hunter Passage 450 Brunswick Landing Marina
Has anyone fixed/patched the keel seam? I have opened it up by sanding a V into the seam and let it dry out for a month or more. I now am ready to patch it and was going to use a 2 part epoxy but just saw that you could use 5200 so the seam can flex. Any thoughts?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
West system makes an epoxy product specifically for this problem. I believe it's Gflex 655. I used it on my boat. Seems like a good option. Easy to use/apply.

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Has anyone fixed/patched the keel seam? I
Trying to repair the keel stub joint from the outside, some would consider a temporary repair. If the joint has been compromised leaving it open for water to seep in, the best repair would be to lift the boat off the keel, clean the joint and re-bed with 3M-5200. This repair was done on our boat in 2004 and remains as solid as when it was done several thousand mile ago.

A picture of your joint would help. Do you know the cause?

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
West system G/flex or Pettit flexpoxy. Either would work well for that application. I personally used Pettit's flexpoxy because it doesn't exotherm as much so you can apply more at one time. You can download for free on West Systems website a manual for typical fiberglass repairs. This repair is detailed in that manual.