Keel - re-installing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon

I am finally ready to re-install the keel in my 1971 V21 and am not sure which way it goes back on (it wasn't on when I got it). One end has 2 holes, the other has 1 hole, which goes towards the front? Can anyone guide me or refer me to a site that may have instructions and/or pictures? Thanks, Jon

J

Jim Hughes

keel

I installed mine about a month ago on a 1974 venture 21ft.The two holes go in the front.The top hole is for the keel bolt,that locks the keel down,after lowering it.The next hole is for the pivot bolt.The bottom one is on the backside of the keel and is for the cable.I put mine on while the boat was on the trailer.I backed the boat to our porch steps.I lowered the front of the trailer,pushed it back until the back of the boat was close to the 3rd.step.I then took a 2x6,nailed two 2x4s off center to the outside with 2 small 2x4 blocks under them.This made a makeshift cradle for the back of boat.Block the wheels of trailer.Raise the front of the trailer and with the back of the boat on the step,gives you enough clearance to get the keel in.I put my keel on a floor jack,raised it and slid it in over the axle and crossbar of the trailer.Hook the cable to it's hole in the keel,crank the keel winch some.Move the keel some,crank the winch somemore.Pretty soon the keel will flip up on its end and slide into the trunk.Then put the pivot bolt in.Be sure to seal the rubber washers before tighting everything.The keel hangs about 5 in.below the boat when its in.I did this by myself in about 1hr.or so.Another person would make it easier.Good luck

J

Jon

Thanks

Jim, thanks. That was exactly what I needed. One question: what dids you use to seal the rubber washers? Thanks, Jon

J

Jim Hughes

keel

I used silicone,bath and kitchen. It's adhesive and flexable. I don't know if it's the right stuff, but it doesn't seem to leak,and I've sailed a number of times. Good luck Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.