keel ratchet handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harry B

I recently purchased a C-20, and I'm not sure how the keel ratchet is supposed to work.I can turn it clockwise ( up ), but it won't turn the other way. I believe the handle is ment to come out slightly, and then it will turn counter clockwise. But,it won't come out. Am I doing something wrong? I am begining to think the shaft is rusted and frozen. Hopefully someone can help, thanks.

Apr 1, 2005
Chrysler C-22 Winchester, KY
KEEL WINCH HANDLE

To my knowledge there are only 2 types of winch designs: 1) a small lever control is used to allow raising, and it is moved out of a lock position to allow FREE WHEELING to lower--primary use is on small boat trailers and can be dangerous if there is a heavy load on it when the lever is moved!--2) this type is more sophisticated in design and has no locking lever--it has a built in clutch mechanism that functions as a holding function in any position. This type must be cranked up and down with approximately the same force.--used for heavy loads that must be held in position and can not free wheel in the retract mode. Largest use is for pop up camper roof systems. Not sure which design you have, but clean it up and make sure all bearing surfaces are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.