Keel on 376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
My 376 has a wing keel. The bilge goes down about 2'+ The wing blub bolts on down at the bottom of the bilge. I mentioned this to one sailor and he said no way. No way would 5,400 lbs be bolted directly to fiberglass that is hanging down two feet. He says there has to be some kind of metal support that's being glassed in. Anybody know how the full keel is made?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Exactly as You Describe

I have the deep keel version (1996) and the construction is exactly as you describe. There are two stiffening ribs inside the stub to brace it and these are 'tabbed' on to the inner space frame of the hull. These ribs look as if they are plywood so keep the bilge water down to try to prevent the wood from rotting. The result is that the keel can 'work' and then these fibreglass tabs crack. This shows first as a crack all round the keel where the stub joins on to the canoe body of the hull. I guess the harder you sail the boat, the sooner this may arise. My boat was from the first 50 off so they may (should?) have improved on this after my experience. At this point the fibreglass is only 3/4" thick and a yacht designer friend advised that it should be at least 1" or preferably more. I had mine fixed here in the UK during the first year under warranty. They removed and re-did the tabbing and also built up layers of glass on the inside and outside of the stub. No more problems - since 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.