Keel Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Trotter

Do most you sail with the pin in the keel in a locked down position? I am new at this and have mine locked down. I only sail on a lake ( normally 10-30 knot winds) and am thinking it is not likely that I will ever get my self in a position to roll it over enough to fold up. I ran on to a sand bar recently but never got stuck (just dragging)and was able to get it off with the motor. I can see where it would be easier if the pin was out and also might not do as much damage if I really hit some thing.

J

john dawson

keel pin

personally, I sail without pinning the keel as I find it hasn't made much difference, the keel is heavy enought to stay put. My experience on Maine ponds is that there it was hard to avoid underwater rocks sometimes and the keel was free to bounce over them. In the Chesapeake, a six foot keel is considered a little deep for exploring creeks. We find the sand bottom sometimes and a free keel makes it easy to quickly crank it up and spin free. Plus I'm more afraid of digging it in and twisting it against the fiberglass or having it take the force of the whole boats momentum. I suppose there are situations where it could be banging or wearing against the pivot when you would want to pin it, probably while pitching in deeper water. Swing keels are sweet because its so easy to unground.

J

J Richter

Keel Pin 2

It depends on the conditions for me, I sail about 1/2 my time on lakes and leave it pined. But gulf sailing out of Stgeorge island I pin. I have a few pins I keep for family sailing in 10 to 30 knots. I hacksawed a cut about 1/4 of the way on the bolt, If I hit somthing solid It gives and breaks, but, god forbid, in a knock down it would stay put.

Status
Not open for further replies.