Keel didn’t line up in the cradle

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
So yesterday I took the Ocean Jasper out of the water for the first time and put it on the trailer. What I didn’t realize was how hard it was to get the swing keel into the cradle on the trailer.

Fortunately some old salts were there to help me sort out the issue, but I clearly need something to guide the keel into the cradle.

Is this common knowledge that I missed? How have others solved this problem?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Looks like a simple bow chock is being used. A very small target to try have the keel line up !

Most swing keel boat trailers have a long flat keel support area, wider than the keel, with sides that stick up..
At the rear of the trailer, some have guides that narrow towards the keel support.

I don't have a C22 photo handy, but will post if I find one before someone else.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here is our C22 trailer before we bought it. I later added 6x6 lumber on the sides of the keel support, to make it a channel/guide. Note the usual powerboat style vertical hull guides at the back. Not sure they help much because the ones I have are too far apart and too fleible. As long as the trailer is at the correct depth in the water, the keel guide and the side bunks are what keeps the boat centred and also support the weight when loaded. The keel is lowered once on the trailer so it's 600lb weight is on the keel guide, instead of on the hull where is rests on the bunks.

C22trailer.jpg

Here is a trailer for a larger fixed keelboat ... Same basic idea... A channel where the keel sits, with guides that run towards the keel channel/support, to guide the keel into the middle.

IMG_20210815_093005_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Feb 28, 2022
Oh yeah, mine is no where near that easy. Here's a better view of the back:

1655727609909.jpeg

I'm definitely threading the needle on this. I'm gonna have to make some updates for this to be more "trailerable".

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Stock Sail Rite trailer with the ridiculously too small foot print to capture the keel-- lot's of good options for guides etc... but I went for simple: the vertical guides along with removing and improving the keel pad solved my challenges. Additional bonus -- the vertical PVC guides are inexpensive/ adjustable, and I opted for the wired LED versions that add marker lights to the trailer. Last pic was the day I brought it home: IMG_0362.JPGIMG_0177.JPGIMG_0178.JPGIMG_0134.JPGIMG_0229.JPG

Feb 28, 2022
Haha that last one from the day you brought it home made me chuckle. I might actually try to do the vertical PVC posts before I leave for Lake Erie this weekend, since that would be a challenge to get it out at the end of that trip. Those square brackets that the PVC go into, are those just called "right angle square brackets"? I'm not very experienced with any kind of metal work.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA

Attachments

Feb 28, 2022
Oh man - this is awesome. Thanks so much. So I'm assuming the best way to install these is with my keel in the cradle how it is now on the trailer. How snug to the sides of the boat do you get them? I'm guessing just give them a couple inches on each side at most? Or did you mount them even more snug?

Jul 13, 2015
Oct 13, 2020
I have mine about an inch and a half from the side of the boat. They flex, so touching the boat as noted above may be better. Clearly either is better than not having them.

DANO

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
the vertical guides along with removing and improving the keel pad solved my challenges
Yup. Those vertical.guides do help if the trailer is too far into the water or the ramp is steep so that the stern isn't floating "just" between the bunks.

Keeps the stern centred even on windy days. Having a long keel guide and the vertical guides, makes it very easy to load.

Feb 28, 2022
Wow, they just arrived this morning - less than a 24 hour delivery. I'll get these installed this week. I seem to see them installed both in front of the tire and behind. In some cases I've seen these installed at the very back of the trailer. I'm probably going to install them at least behind the tire to help guide me in. Anybody had a bad experience with them all the way at the back of the trailer the way they are advertised?

1655825722056.png

Jul 13, 2015
the physics for me was all about the widest part of the beam-- which would put you just aft of the wheel well on your original trailer. anything farther aft would allow for "slop" in the alignment and you might still be missing the v-stop.

In the manufacturers photos you often see it set up for fishing boats/ runabouts-- all of which likely have the widest part of their beam at the actual transom-- no so much with our round in the middle sailboats.

Oct 13, 2020
Pclarksurf nailed it right behind the rear tires. You can see it in the pic I posted earlier.
Dano

Jul 13, 2015
@brockangelo : I was checking out your photo links and was struck by the telephone pole like gantry crane at whatever ramp or yard that was--

On the off-chance you are still raising and lowering your mast in a similar fashion, one bit of advice: Leave all your standing rigging attached with the exception of the forward lowers (and the forestay of course...). You had to compensate manually for some lateral movement in the mast coming down (and going up I imagine). That's a really weak mast foot and will self destruct with any significant side loads -- including ripping out the base of the mast.

With the aft and main stays intact the mast is somewhat self centered -- raising and lowering solo, even with some wind and you'd still be in good control.

Just a thought in case it's useful.

Feb 28, 2022
Thanks @pclarksurf

I had the aft lower shrouds attached, but that made me really nervous when it came over like that. I'll try it with the upper shrouds attached next time and see if that's better control