Keel centering spacers

Apr 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Bay
On my Catalina 22 I have just epoxied in the centering spacers onto the top of the keel. After putting the keel back on the boat I noticed that the spacers are touching the sides of the groove for the keel. I'm worried that as I crank down the keel in the water it will not fit up the channel or get stuck up there because I believe the channel gets thinner the further up it the keel goes. Does this seem like a problem that it is tight in here or is this gonna be alright.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Photos ?

By "groove for the keel", I assume you mean the keel trunk ? If so, yes, the sides are not parallel and it gets slightly narrower toward the top.

I haven't seen spacers.used on the top of the keel.

Normally the keel hangers are replaced if they allow too much side.to.side.movement, and the new ones are modified to fit as desired. The hangers for our boat.came slightly wider than needed, allowing them to be custom fit.

In addition, the pin needs to fit nicely with the hole in the keel being repaired if required. That removes any excessive movement.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Here's a picture of the spacer.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those spacers are the wrong shape, size, and location. The spacers are generally round and fit the brass pivot on each side like large washers. which take up any slop. There are other rectangular spacers I have seen used on the very top of the keel which when it swings down sit fully into the trunk and help wedge it into place but they are a bit less common I think. The spacer in the picture is not flush, mounted in the wrong orientation (assuming its on the top of the keel) and looks way to large to be pulled into the trunk. I would go with no spacers or modify what you have to that it works. The Catalina 22 Tech manual from the C22 National Association as many articles on keel adjustments, spacers, and repairs. I would start there. Again sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We have spacers similar to these, mounted in the same general area. CD used to sell them, but I can't find them just now.

I would probably just sand them down a little. They're not 100% essential to have.