Keel bulge

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
What year is your boat? Can you take some photos from further away? what kind of keel? The C & C 44's had a lot of keel options IIRC - might help for us to know what your boat has.

At first blush, this does not look alarming to me.

I would like to know what kind of ballast the boat has, lead, steel, concrete, whatever it may be. I'd also like to know if the keel is a bolt on with a fiberglass covering - or whatever construction details are known.

dj

c&cgal

Oct 7, 2024
c&c 44 digby, ns
What year is your boat? Can you take some photos from further away? what kind of keel? The C & C 44's had a lot of keel options IIRC - might help for us to know what your boat has.

At first blush, this does not look alarming to me.

I would like to know what kind of ballast the boat has, lead, steel, concrete, whatever it may be. I'd also like to know if the keel is a bolt on with a fiberglass covering - or whatever construction details are known.

dj
1987 winged keel. I will find out more! Thanks so much!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Could be a couple of causes, the worst case would involve the keel bolts and leaks.

More likely is debris from the original casting that was encased in the keel. Lead keels are sand casted and sand can flake off the mold and get buried inside the keel. If it is close to the surface water might leak in and cause the lead to bubble and eventually leak.

This happened on my Sabre. After sounding with a hammer, I cut ope a small section which was filled with casting sand. Here's a photo of the problem part way through the repair. I removed the outer skin, cleaned out all the sand and filled and faired the area with epoxy.
1728316102182.jpeg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
@dlochner Your keel is bolt on, no? I'm guessing the C&C 44 is also. I just realized that he C&C is listed as having lead ballast, as does your Sabre. That's a whole lot better, IMHO.

It looks like the water is coming out fairly close to the bottom of the keel on the C&C - that's good. The C&C has a cored hull, no? At least this is far away from that.

So far it looks like a pretty simple: open, clean, dry, reseal...

dj