Keel Bolts...(Sorry.)

Oct 11, 2017
Catalina C-25 Hendersonville
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I just acquired a 1981 C-25 and am excited about its renovation. Overall, its in surprisingly good shape with a multitude of minor fixes to enjoy through the coming winter.
However, I need to address the keel bolt issue. Although the keel surface only shows a mild (about a one foot long) crack to the fore, the bolts appear neglected.
I am aware of this common aging problem and have read many forum posts on the subject. Sistering kits from CD, and dropping the keel are all options to consider but I would like to hear others' opinions.
P.S. The bolts stick to magnets like glue.

Catalina 25.JPGKeel Bolts 1.JPG Keel crack.JPG
Best wishes
, and thanks.

Oct 11, 2017
Hi, Stu.
No reason at all. As I said, the boat is in great shape considering. Thank you for the link. Will read, over.

Apr 25, 2018
Catalina 25 York River/Chesapeake Bay
Chichester- I'm in the same boat : 1982 Catalina 25 with iron ballasted fin keel that has rusted degraded keel bolts. How did you work out the keel bolt repair?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This quote from Catalina Direct would worry me if it was my boat.

"Important safety message: 1) It is critical you understand that the retrofit bolts will not be as strong as the original bolts once were. The original bolts were first bent in a "J" shape, then cast into the molten iron. Don't expect to add this kit to your boat, then sail it to the Bahamas! If the original keel bolts are degraded, the boat is not and will not be as seaworthy as it once was."

Oct 11, 2017
Hi Pateco Re: Catalina Direct. Yes I did try to contact them several times but couldn't get a reply. I emailed and them and they told me to keep trying. Needless to say I gave up, but thanks for your "worrying" comment. Continuing to research the issue.

Oct 11, 2017
Hi boothjt, sorry this is late but thanks for your reply. I'm still working on my boat although my blog has suffered greatly. Much to do and I'll let you know the outcome of the keel bolt sage for which Catalina Direct were no help at all, in fact their comments increased my anxiety. Researching, and renovating faithfully yours,
Chichester.

Oct 11, 2017
Do you have reasons to believe the support they were designed and installed to handle have been compromised?

If you don't already, also try:

Association Forum - Catalina 25 Specific Forum
Hey Stu, In my blog you'll find pictures of the "grounding flex" I suspected aft of the keel and above the keel joint. I ground back the gelcoat and found nothing in the hull at all. I went ahead and sanded out a wider are, reinforced it with h/duty glass and then faired out. Looking good ,and I'll post very soon.
(Got so behind on my blog I feel guilty whenever I think of it.!) Is that a quote? :)