Keel Bolts - Crack between Keel and Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie

Have a 1985 Hunter 34. When I purchased the boat 18 months ago there was a crack between the Hull and Keel. I had the crack filled. It reapeared in about 2 months. Could this be caused by loose keel bolts. Has any other Hunter 34 owner noticed this crack??

E

Ed

34 Keel Crack

I think most hunters as well as other boats with bolt-on keels have cracks such as you describe. After recaulking this joint every year, I finally sanded the area and put three layers of glass cloth and epoxy in the area and did not have a crack last year when the boat was hauled out. I don't think a crack necessarily means loose keel bolts unless the crack is wider than it had been.

J

Jim Oursler in Rockwall

kracks...

Just pulled my 34.. no cracks in the hull/keel joint.. .. but a lot of little blisters on hull and rust on keel/...kept in freshwater..

P

Paul

Cracks

Had the very same worry after pulling my 1987 H34 shoal keeled boat for the first time and saw the crack at the front of the keel and also some rust staining due to water penetration from the iron keel. I was told this is quite normal for this type of keel construction and is caused by the slight flexing of the fiber glass hull in normal use. The advice I was given by the boat yard was to let it dry out over the winter, sand off old bottom paint down to the gelcoat and fill with a good flexible water proof sealer, extending the sealer a half inch above and below the crack then repaint as normal with bottom paint. It seems this was good advice, as three years and three pulls later the crack is still covered by the flexible filler, the crack is invisible and no evidence of water penetration or related rust stains are in evidence. Hope this tip will be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.