keel bolt torque

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
Hi,used the info on the documents section to tighten my keel bolts. Double checked the bolt size and torque. Now getting water seepage into the bilge and nervouse that it might be from them. Anyone else used those docs to tighten keel bolts?
thanks
Colin
2000 H290

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Those are the ones if they look like this. Hunter sent these to me decades ago.

1718601265378.png

They are the max. allowable stress (including the factor of safety) which the bolts (j-bolts, whatever) can safely withstand without the risk of plastic deformation.

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
did this work with your 310? we used this using socket size info. for our 290. Not sure where the seepage is comming from. Checked fresh water , hatches etc, bildge.
Colin

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
did this work with your 310? we used this using socket size info. for our 290. Not sure where the seepage is comming from. Checked fresh water , hatches etc, bildge.
Colin
Place some tissue paper or something like it around the bolts to see whether the water starts from the bolt or from somewhere remote.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I tightened mine about a year and a half ago according to whatever docs were available, including Ralph's official numbers as I recall (thanks Ralph). I seem to remember keeping it on the conservative side. For what it's worth, I've been dry.

I like Davidasailor's suggestion. I'd be placing a ring of tissue paper around the affected bilge section(s) as well as each suspected bolt.

Jan 4, 2006
Checked fresh water , hatches etc, bildge.
Bit of a bugger when you can't determine whether the fresh water is coming from above or below.

did this work with your 310?
These are the maximum allowable torques for SS bolts which can be found in any technical handbook and to more conditions than you want to know.

I think @Davidasailor26 's advice is the best place to start. Let us know what you find and hopefully we can go from there.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It should be ALL Fresh Water on the Great Lakes near Toronto.

oh well...

Jim...

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
Only most stern bolt had a damp peice of paper after that suggested test. Will retest the torque next time but quite sure we did it to the spec indicated...set the torque on the bolts as a "smile " was appearing at the hull/ keel joint and was recommended first before any other work and check next haul out..maybe some seepage is normal in a 24 yr old boat?
thanks for all the input
happy sailing all
Colin

Jan 4, 2006
Hi,used the info on the documents section to tighten my keel bolts.
You do realize that the weight should be removed from the keel bolts which means having the boat on the hard ? Just thought I'd mention.