keel bolt torque

cah

Dec 6, 2021
o'day 302 smithville
What do keel bolts torque to on Oday 302? Anyone remember what size sockets are required? Thanks Charles

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Your torque specification will be based on the diameter of the bolt/stud and the alloy of the metal used to make it. Use a properly calibrated torque wrench. Large diameter bolts take an enormous amount of force to tighten them. See posts #8 and #9 in this thread Keel bolt torque | Sailboat Owners Forums for keel bolt torque. But consult with an experienced boatyard.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t know if the keel on the 302 is the same as the 322, but these were posted in IHeartOdays website…

Keel bolt torque on O'Day 322 -- 280 ft-lbs. on the 1" bolts and 160 ft-lbs on the 3/4" bolts.

Greg

cah

Dec 6, 2021
o'day 302 smithville
THANKS. I see two 1' bolts behind the mast support. I think I see one more bolt forward under the mast support. My mast is still stepped. I wonder if I can displace mast support to get access to third bolt. Maybe there are only three bolts on my keel???

Jan 7, 2011
On my O’Day 322, there are a total of 4 bolts…2) 1” bolts and a 3/4” in the main bilge, and another 1” forward of those in the forward bilge. I can get to all 4 with the mast stepped (the 322 is deck-stepped).

Greg

cah

Dec 6, 2021
o'day 302 smithville
My mast is also deck stepped. The forward bolt is under compression post. I don't see anything in the forward bilge. So, I am guessing there are just 3 bolts. I tried to get on I heart Oday forum, but my Email did not go through.

Jan 7, 2011
My mast is also deck stepped. The forward bolt is under compression post. I don't see anything in the forward bilge. So, I am guessing there are just 3 bolts. I tried to get on I heart Oday forum, but my Email did not go through.
Maybe so. I don’t see any info on keel bolts on the I Heart Oday website for the 302. It looks the 302 uses a “Hydro Keel”, but the ballast is 2,400 pounds vs 3,850 for the 322. So your keel is smaller and maybe only has 3 bolts…?

On the 322, the compression post sits between 2 sections of bilge, on a cross member. There is 1 bolt in front of the cross member.

O

Greg

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I doubt torque values are useful here. If you have a metal to metal interface, like an engine head bolt, then torque values are critical. As for the keel attached through compressible materials such as plywood, fiberglass and sealant, I think just make them tight within the limits of their size. No torque wrench needed. Just my humble opinion.

Jan 7, 2011
I doubt torque values are useful here. If you have a metal to metal interface, like an engine head bolt, then torque values are critical. As for the keel attached through compressible materials such as plywood, fiberglass and sealant, I think just make them tight within the limits of their size. No torque wrench needed. Just my humble opinion.
Mine are ”supposed” to be torqued to 280 foot pounds. I don’t have a torque wrench that big. I just leaned into them with a cheater bar. Got them to move about 1/4 turn…called it good.
I don’t have any visible cracks in the keel /stub joint, so I think I am OK.

Someday, when I am retired, I may drop the keel, check the bolts, rebed and hope for another 30 years.

Greg

Feb 5, 2015
O'Day 302 Ottawa
The O’Day 302 manual says 280ft lbs of torque for the three 1” bolts and 70ft lbs for the 1/2” bolt aft of the 1” bolts. Doing a search on 302s or looking at posts from 302 owners will show a lot of discussion about the keel, the bolts, accessing them, etc.. The nut on the 1” bolt takes a 1 1/2” socket. Getting into a position to work a torque wrench on them is a minor feat of gymnastics. And getting to 280 ft lbs takes pretty much everything I have. With the mast down, I have been able to move the mast support post enough out of the way to get the socket onto the third 1” bolt.