Just Love Steam Trains

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Amazing.
Especially impressive in that Winter air.
My great grandfather was an engineer out of Chicago before and during the Depression.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Will Gilmore
Thank you sir. Enjoyed them. @Meriachee will enjoy this as well. Thank you for sharing. On my bucket list is to ride the train over the Himalayas which is pressurized and beautiful. First will be across Canada first. You all take care

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Those remind me of the Lionel model train I played with when young. I’ve loved steam locomotives ever since. Now I paint them.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
coal fired, steam engines, were around on the great lakes in the 70's . i sailed many years on S.S. vessels both up and downers and turbine. yep, all the pipes were wrapped in asbestos and painted with lead paint. old school

May 25, 2012
terry, your video has that engine being pushed by diesel engines. she has enough steam to blow the whistle but not much else. california prolly won't allow the pollution to wind that baby up. even with it burning oil vrs. coal

May 25, 2012
fun thing about steam power is you get 100% horse power as fast as you open the steam valve. there is no 'wind up' like a gas engine. also there is no combustion in the engine so everything is super clean.

May 25, 2012
the fire box ain't the engine Will. operating a steam locomotive is pollution big time.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Pride of the Norfolk and Western Railway, Roanoke East End shops, the J-Class 611. World’s fastest steam locomotive since 1950:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Got to learn a good bit about them while working on national boiler code stuff .. I was surprised to find so much detail in the code books.. Very cool machines.. We had a few good sized steam driven piston pumps form the 40's that were still in operation .. they were fun to work with and were very much like the big drivers for locomotives..

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Gunni

Live 50 minutes from the N & W 611. As a sailboat dealer locally, I was asked to travel to a sailboat to repair it owned by Bob Clayton who was big Cheese for NS. Bill was substantial. Quietly, I got to sit in the engineer’s seat with a train attached driving it with the Engineer behind me telling me what to do as payment for working on the sailboat. I can tell you what an experience that was. Glad the federal boys were not around. Lost the photos of me driving but it was a dream come true.

Dave Condon