Just for fun, identify this location if you can!

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I would suppose there is something in the photo to help with this. Maybe the spire on the far side up the hill? Otherwise you would have to go with something near where you live. Couldn't be the Delaware with that size sailboat. Lots of deciduous trees. The size of the boat makes me think it is an inlet to a much larger lake or sea. Maybe Champlain or L George?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I'll Take a Stab

West Point, or somwhere along the Palisades?

How about telling us how far away and which direction from our guesses?

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
The Hudson has railroad along side of its banks so I'll take a wag that its a lake in NJ

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Just south of the "Delaware River Water Gap", looking down at the river from the Appalachian Trail on the NJ 'side'.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Railroad Tracks

I was looking for them. Thought they were there next to the trees on the bank.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
It does appear there may be a RR on the far bank. Couldn't be the delaware below the gap. Sides are not steep enough and it is not deep enough for sailing.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Bear Mountain?

How about - looking upriver in the direction of West Point. Taken from the Palisades Parkway starting down the hill towards the Bear Mtn. Bridge? The road could be 9W . . .

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Rick & Deadhead are closest!

RAD, it looks like the tracks are hidden pretty well. Here is the giveaway ... I'll bet a few have been on this hike.

Tim's right about the Delaware ... there is a great hike on the AT going up the ridge on the Jersey side starting at the Gap.

This location is also on the AT.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Here's my photographer!

She was giving me a hard time because she says that everywhere I go has to involve a sailboat!

Attachments

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Then it has to be from the top of StormKing Mountain on the Hudson. Nicht Wahr?

The elevated highway in the valley in the pic is the giveaway ...
The Water Gap has I-80 on elevated bridgework through the gap ... and the same exists at or near StormKing.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Got it

Bear mtn. state park. Looking NE over the hudson. The bridge is rt. 202/6. The bridge gave it away.

Jan 22, 2008
Bear Mountain Bridge

I have had a love/hate relationship with the Bear Mountain Bridge since 1964. We moved away from a place called Chestnut Ridge when the old man took a job at the Philly Navy yard. I remember going over that bridge for the 1st time on a cold night after the leaves had fallen. Even as a 5 year old I hated leaving Dutchess County. And the bridge came to symbolize that hate.

But my mother was a farm girl - the oldest of 5 daughters. We returned to her family farm on the Ridge very often. I am the oldest grandchild and I spent a month on the farm every summer until I got a job on a produce farm in central Jersey when I was a teenager. As a young lad every time we returned to my grandparents farm I would know we were getting close when we crossed the bridge. As an adult the bridge has come to symbolize returning home.

My grandparents sold the farm in 1984 and built my grandmother's dream home on a 6 acre tract in a quiet corner of an old apple orchard. Up until about 2002 we spent every Thanksgiving on the Ridge. Most times we had upwards of 20 people staying there for the whole weekend.

My grandmother is now 95 and living in a nursing home, but the big house hasn't been sold yet. I spent the opening week of deer season alone there. My mother and a different aunt called every night and everyone spoke of how they missed the old times.

Thanks for the memories!

Jan 22, 2008
Very Close - just a little farther north

Deer Leap. It is north of Tongue Mtn.

Access is via a trailhead on 9N almost 10 miles north of Bolton Landing. It is about a 2 or 3 mile hike in from the road.