Just a little surface rust

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
On my list - replace rusty clamps. Long ago I wrote in one of these forum posts that I've never seen a failed clamp that didn't look like it would fail. So what does that look like? This looks innocent enough. But it's not...
Looks innocent.JPG

So I started replacing OEM clamps in my new-to-me boat with high quality all-stainless clamps made by Scandvik. Hall of shame below.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yep, been replacing my cheap HW store clamps with the Scandvik clamps on essential systems. A couple of years ago found a rotted one on a sanitation hose, it broke as soon as I tried to unscrew it. This year I replaced the clamps on the oil cooler on engine. The one place I will use HW store clamps is the freshwater system. If one fails it is not critical and won't sink the boat or put a lot of :poop: in the bilge.

The Scandvik are not cheap, however the price of a cheap one failing is quite high. Also, if you buy the Scandvik nut driver it makes installation and adjustment much easier.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Also, if you buy the Scandvik nut driver it makes installation and adjustment much easier.
I get out the socket set and use a socket as nut driver if doing multiple clamps or working from an angle that doesn’t let me see the screw head easily.