Jumper Strut 35.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Aug 28, 2009
Hunter 35.5 Pepin, WI
Alan, On the RigRight site it lists the NG-46 is common usage for the 34,35, and 35.5.
The strut drawing that sparcraft has references detail for the liberty cup version. A NG-46 has a circumference of 19/5/8", I measured mine and is about 19 1/2", a NG-51 is 20 1/2" Sparcraft is charging me $500 to $600 for the strut and are building a few extras to have on hand. Wire and toggles are not included.

Last edited:

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Next time I'm onboard I'll check mine but it sounds like you've got the right one (NG 46)
$600 for just the strut is a bit steep. The thing is useless without the supporting wire cables and toggles but if that's the price what option do you have? Fortunately once its installed and tuned you don't have to worry about it anymore.
You'll be very pleased with the headstay control after its on. Pointing will defiantly improve

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Excellent, Mike. Did they give you some specs for wire size and placement on the mast? Also did they give tensioning specs?
Are you planning on the install by yourself or will the yard be mounting it?...mast up or down?

MikeL

Aug 28, 2009
Hunter 35.5 Pepin, WI
Alan, No Specs or installation detail. I took the mast photos you posted and scaled them for the dimensions for placement of the strut and tangs, should be with a half of an inch accuracy. We are going with 3/16 wire which fits in the grooves at the spreader end. I am having yard install it with my instructions. My mast is down as it needed to be inspected for damage after I was T-boned in a race in September, the other boat's mast had hit mine during the crash. I am getting a new furler (went with a Selden) and genoa (getting Ulman Sails Fiberpath Enduro, and a new main). Do you recall what the tensioning specs are? My thought was to tension the strut stays to 10% with the back-stay tensioned.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Mike I would kick it up to 15% but very important they be equal otherwise the top of the mast will tail off to one side. An additional advantage of the strut is it holds the masthead in column as wind strength increases. Typically the masthead is blown off to leeward costing some performance in the upper main.
Next time I go up I'll take the Loos with me and get readings.

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
Again the suggestion to call Seco South in Largo florida would probably save you lots of trouble. Great Folks to deal with and at the least will talk to you about it!.
They do hunters rigs too so they have all the scoop on your boat.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Ed, I'm not sure how much help Seco will be in this situation. Other than the Liberty Cup Legend 35.5's (10) no other Hunters have a jumper strut. These boats had a custom rig setup designed specifically for these few boats. It's really a shame because every single Hunter with a fractional rig and backstay could benefit from this strut.

Status
Not open for further replies.