Joker valve failures on Johnson Pump Aqua T electric heads

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 376 San Rafael
Hi Peggy,
I have always taken your advice on head issues. But we sold the Hunter with the Raritan and bought a Seawind 1160 cat, which came with two of the Johnson Pump Aqua T electric heads. I replaced the bases complete with new motors, and they work well except the Joker valves seem to only last one season, if that (winterizing not needed in SF Bay Area). I now have one that has worked great for two months and is starting to gurgle and back flow. In looking at them, they just have a slit without reinforcement rubber and it seems like they should have more stabilized lips like the Raritan Sea Era electric.

Would the Sea Era joker valve fit the Johnson Pump? Or is there another option? I would hate to replace the heads just because of $19 Joker valves.

Thanks.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The same Raritan joker valve fits all Raritan toilets...part # is C253. It'll only cost you about $20 to find out whether it fits the Johnson Aqua T toilets.

--Peggie

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 376 San Rafael
I tried that one already, and it is too large. That is why I was suggesting the one from a macerating head. But if they are the same size, it will not work.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Welll...try a Jabsco joker valve. Theirs are all the same size too.

You aren't leaving vinegar in the bowl, are you? 'Cuz leaving soft rubber (joker valve) to sit and soak in vinegar will cause it to swell and distort.

--Peggie

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 376 San Rafael
Actually Peggie, I did exactly that. I was trying to remove the stains on the bowl where the raw water sat inside the bowl and evaporated. I did the same thing on the other head, but diluted the vinegar with fresh water from the sink, and I had no issues. Thanks for figuring out the problem. I will put in a new spare and see how it does. I also need to dust off my copy of your book and familiarize myself about such maintenance. I am sure it is in there.

BTW-You advised me several years ago to get the Raritan Cricket head for our first boat. What a great product. I was bummed when I could not get another one for our last boat because it was discontinued.

Thanks again, and for all the advice you give!