Job offer in Denver, What about Sailing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Boyke

I have a job offer in the Denver Area, Does anyone know what are the cruising/sailing options are in the Denver Region? I have a nice 30ft Hunter I just about have working the way I want and I would hate to put it in mothballs. Any Suggestions? Bill

G

Gary Wyngarden

Prairie Schooner

Bill, I'm not a Colorado resident, but both my kids are so I get out there a fair amount. I think your only meaningful option in the area is Lake Dillon which is up in the mountains about two hours west of Denver. It's a pretty lake surrounded by mountains and I know they do some sailing on it during the seaon which is probably not too long as the elevation there as I recall is at least 8000 feet. The lake is not real large, but it's probably your best bet for sailing in Colorado. Good luck! Gary Wyngarden S/V Shibumi H335

J

John J

Denver sailing

Besides Dillon, which is better sailing and much more scenic, there is the Chatfield resevoir. Chatfield is just outside the city and about 1+ hours closer depending where you live. Not great but better than nothing.

D

D. Chris Van Lauwe

Been there done that

I lived in Denver for 9 years, just across from Chatfield Reservoir. You just start a run and it is done. Lake Dillon is the best setting for sailing. Stunning and there are sail services at the lake. About an hour from Denver. Green mountain reservoir is nice but nothing permanent. Everything else is far away and not much better than Lake Dillon. Call me very pleased with Lake Michigan sailing. Chris Festina Tarde, Hunter 340

R

Rich Gostenik

Chatfield may be a pond but it is close

Bill, our family keeps a Vision 32 at Chatfield Marina on Chatfield Res. and has for several years now. Yes- it is small (around 7k surface acres)but it is convenient... only 20 minutes from south of Denver. It gets busy on weekends but night sailing is the way to go. There is an active sailing club there (the No Coast Yacht Club)which sponsors racing of all classes twice a week in season. Mooring at the marina is from late March through end of October. Slip fees are relatively high compared to what you may be used to on Grosse Isle... but there is a bit of a captive audience and waiting in these parts for on the water moorings. I agree that Dillon is primier sailing... only lacking the convenience of proximity. If we kept BlackBEAR at Dillon, we would sail far less than we do now which is 3-4 day/nights a week. Questions? Feel free to email me: gstnk@att.net

J

Jim Ewing

Ditto on Chatfield...

I kept my former C-22 on Chatfield. It's small and crowded on the weekends (except when the Donkey's are playing...) If you can stand the drive Dillon is more scenic but colder and still with fluky winds. Best sailing around is Lake McConaughy (sp?) in western Nebraska. It's a drive but it's also 26 miles long with sand beaches. Depends on whether you want access to the boat every day or just on the weekends. Jim h37.5 "Prospect"

Status
Not open for further replies.