jinfo onthe capri 18

• Thread starter mattmansh@yahoo.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattmansh@yahoo.com

I have owned an 18 for 5 years. It is my fourth boat and I have been quite pleased.I took it in trade for an Oday 23, as I was wanting something easier tow . I've sailed many different boats from a 14' one design to a Tyana 37 ( no have not owned them all)and I have sailed small inland lakes as well as the coast of Florida . I race and cruise. I hope you find this usefull.First the boat itself is fairly robust, no oilcanning of the bottom as in the cat22, I suspect this is due to the foam flotation. the fittings are adaquate and have shown no sign of stress. The only problem was a leak from the mast step. I caulked it up with no problem except that the step was stuck to the deck with 5200 and I couldn't remove it .The boat is dry other than that, and has been the driest boat I have owned. Speaking of the mast, I raise it easily by hand and use a jib downhaul connected to the jib halyard and wraped on the winch to hold the mast up while I attatch the forestay. This seams better than using the forestay itself as the rig stays up without any attention being paid to it .When taking the mast down, do it in reverse and allow the friction in the system to take the weight and strain. A roller on a mast support makes rolling the mast back to be placed in the mast step much easier.I do complain about the mainsheet attachment to the backstay, although economical it is my greatest complaint in an otherwise decent little boat. I have not put a traveler on , and won't as compared to the cost of the boat. Second, the boat sails well despite the mainsheet position and I find that I often take the boat into confined areas and sail where I would never have taken the 23. I rarely use the engine (2.2 nissan), the boat sails well in all conditions although a second reef in the main is required. I have been caught out in 40knots ( yes I did run down wind and did duck into a cove as soon as possible).The wind was reported on the radio and I saw it coming.The main was down , the hatch in , and most importantly the life vest on. The boat handeled well, surfed nicely, and I did not fear the boat would break. Thirdly, I've cruised the boat for 2 week periods and found it to be comfortable for its size. I sail alone mostly and am pleased with the overall ease to handle the boat. Do youself a favor and rig a topping lift. This is single most important item I added. The ability to raise the main without being nose to wind is invaluable. I get a cramped feeling about day four and it goes away about day six. While cruising anchor form the stern, You will get more air down below , the boat will not sail on the rode, and it is easier to sleep. Run the bitter end to the bow in case the wind picks up and you become annoyed by the water slapping the transom. Overall I have been quite happy with the boat it sails well, handles easily, and does not cost a mint. A tongue extention is necessary to float her off the trailer. I had a local RV guy do it for less than $200. Good luck and fair winds.

E

Ernie

Traveler

I've considered adding a traveler similar to that found on the Com-Pac 19 (double block on the boom end w/ single block to port and single block to starboard w/ becket & cleat). Any thoughts?

J

Joe

Tongue extention lenght?

How long is the tongue extention that you had built? I have to use about 20' of tow strap on the ramps around here.

E

Erik

Tongue extension length

The extendable tongue on my C-18's Trail-Rite trailer is about 6 ft long.

J

Joe

Tongue extension

Erik, I also have the Trailrite trailer.Do you think 6 ft. of extension is enough? How steep are the ramps that you use? How deep into the water do you back into? The ramps that we used last year (6 on 4 lakes) are about 10-12% grade. I hate to submerge the axle on my truck on a regular basis. So I stop when the rear wheels are in a foot of water. The combination of those two things mean that we need about 15-20 feet of extension to get the boat to float.

E

Erik <esvanr@firedept.net>

Tongue extension info

The 6 ft extending tongue is the longest that will fit on the trailer. Otherwise, it would hit the keel when in the *towing* position. I use a '76 IH Scout II 4WD to tow my C-18. It has a 2" lift and 31" tires. I usually need to get the rims wet to float the boat off. I installed a rear axle vent extension *just in case*. Feel free to e-mail me for more info.

D

Dave Wilbar

Other 18 improvements

Any thoughts on 1) Roller Furling, 2) Split back stay - with option for adjustability - to facilitate centering main, or 3) Rigging a genny? Thanks, Dave

E

Erik

Other C-18 improvements

I have a CDI FF2 roller furling w/ a 135 jenny. The ease of use is wonderful. I don't think a 150 jenny would be very good. I could see a problem w/the jib vs mast upon coming about. Also, I have been told that the 150's material is lighter weight, thus not as strong as a 135. A cruising spinnaker was recommended to me for light wind performance. I originally didn't like the mainsheet attachment and the slightly offset backstay, but it doesn't seem to affect cruising perfomance and it allows for more room in the cockpit and the ability to swing the tiller up. I did install a backstay adjuster between the transom fitting and mainsheet yokeplate. It's a 2:1 device built of two Harken blocks (one w/ becket & cam cleat), and Spectra line. It allows me to *droop* the mast forward for ease of pinning in the headstay and then tension up the backstay.

Status
Not open for further replies.