Jin sheet size

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Hello everyone. I have a 1979 s2 9.2c, with 140% genoa. I am replacing the jib sheet . The owner manual says the size is 3/8” 45 f. long. That looks thinner then what I have on it now ( 1/2” ? Rope?)
Please advise, thanks.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Agree 3/8 inch diameter is too small for your size boat. 12 mm or 1/2 inch diameter recommended for your boat length. Please refer to the attached link on rope diameter selection. If you are happy with the jib sheet length now I would measure the length and purchase that length and consider the appropriate length for a smaller ji, if you plan to sail with one.

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Thanks for the advise. I wonder what will be the outcome if I use the 3/8 line. Will it put more stress on the winch? If that’s the case I will not use it. Otherwise I can experiment with it. ( I already bought the line from West Marine and I don’t think I can exchange it).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It will be a hand feel thing. Too small is hard to grab when tacking. Your winch may be one that has a “self tailing” feature. You will find that too small may not lock up in winch.

Only you can decide if the 3/8’th is the right size. Small is lighter. Too big is heavy. Your looking for the Goldie Locks size that you and your hands like.

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
I guess I will try it tomorrow. Maybe I will benefit from a smaller size, since I don’t have a self tailing winch and I rely on the cleat behind it to lock the sheet after a tack

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
3/8 inch diameter will be fine since you already have them..........as you tack pull the jib over and tighten the sheet up quickly and cleat it then fall off and slowly let the sheet out to adjust the jib. You might install Barton marine wincher self tailers to convert your winches to self-tailing

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here's a tip... the winchers don't work well on sheet winches.... You'd be better served to invest in a set of "cam" cleats on risers to keep the sheet level. The you just snap them in and out (no fairleads on the cleats) Using the winchers on sheet winches will inhibit your tacking speed and not allow you to grind in the sheet one handed like a regular self tailing winch... you still have to strip the line off by hand... the winch has to be fully loaded to operate which is unnecessary except in hard conditions.
The 3/8 line will be fine... you'll get used to it quickly, and you can always wear gloves . You can go with 7/16 next time if you want, but 1/'2" is pretty beefy for a 30 ft boat.... totally unnecessary for the increased cost.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just replaced mine with 7/16”. Works well with self tailer & good on hands. Have a set of old 1/2” sheets and they are a bit too big; however they have swelled a some since new.

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Thanks for the replies. I just got back from boat, decided to go with 7/16 (that’s what I got on it). I think it’ll be easier to sheet in in strong winds.
I am also going to to convert the winches to “self tailing “. Conversion kits are available without replacing the whole winch.