Jiffy/Slab reefing the main

Dec 25, 2014
Sirius 21 Havelock Ontario
Anybody using the single line Jiffy system? Like to hear from you.

Problems reported are excess friction from the cringles, blocks and a long line, but this system can be handled solo without leaving the (my) cockpit. Since I do quit a bit of sailing alone I would like to install it on my boat.

Wadd'ya think?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Anybody using the single line Jiffy system? Like to hear from you.

Problems reported are excess friction from the cringles, blocks and a long line, but this system can be handled solo without leaving the (my) cockpit. Since I do quit a bit of sailing alone I would like to install it on my boat.

Wadd'ya think?
I put single line reefing on my C30 tall rig a couple of years ago and I really love it. There was a good deal of friction at the tack cringle but it was not unmanageable. I do find that I need to retighten the reef line after a few minutes because the tension due to friction tends to shake itself out after a bit. One other thing to note is that you will likely not get the clew as tight as you would if you had double line reefing but that does not affect the flatness of the reef because it is controlled by the main sheet.

I was able to reduce the friction in the system by using a single ball bearing block at the cringles. Instead of the reef line passing through the cringle, it goes up to the block and back down on the same side of the sail. The block is attached to the sail by connecting it to a stainless steel ring on the opposite side.

I have my halyards marked for each reef point. To reef, I ease the main halyard to the premarked location and then take up the slack in the reef line, finishing with a few cranks on the wench. :dance: