JIB SIZE

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HAL

JUST PURCHASED A 1977 CAT 22. SWING KEEL. SAILS ARE ORIGINAL. I'M LOOKING FOR NEW SAILS, AND AM WONDERING WHAT SIZE JIB TO GET. I HAVE 3 SAILS. MAIN, JIB AND GENOA. THE GENOA IS A NEWER GENOA THAT WHEN UP, EXTENDS ABOUT 40" AFT OF THE MAST. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS A 110% OR WHAT. WHAT SIZE JIB SHOULD I GET TO REPLACE THE OLD ORIGINAL. WHAT SIZE ARE OTHER USING ON A DAILY BASIS? THANKS FOR THE HELP.

M

Mike

Replacing jib

I have a '75 C22, and I needed to replace both my 110 jib and 150 genoa because they were worn and torn. Rather than buying two sails, I bought a CDI FF2 flexible furler, and a 150 genoa. Together, they cost me about $1000. I bought them thru Airforce Sails which was affiliated with Sailnet.com, which I believe had gone out of business, but since has returned. I had the genoa made out of 6oz. dacron and have a sunbrella cover instead of the cheaper sacrificial cover some lofts try to sell. I have used them for two seasons now, about 60 sails and 600 nms. They have proven to be versatile in almost all conditions except a dead calm. I most appreciate them when the winds pick up heavy and I can roll the genny up smaller than 100% and sail much better than on the main alone without taking a beating.

D

David Williams

Sails

My head sail set consist of a 150, 135, 110, and an 80. Most of the time I sail with the 110 or 135, depending on wind conditions. I only use my 150 when racing, and the 80 when the wind is around 30 with gust in the 40s...mph. I would say purchase a 110 until you are ready to sail in winds over 25 mph. Welcome to C-22 sailing. Be sure to go to the Association Website: www.catalina22.org David

Jul 8, 2004
- - Fairfield, CT
Catalina 22 sails and other parts

I have a 1976 Catalina 22 that got some hull damage (still seaworthy though) in a storm a couple months ago. It is easily repairable by someone with some fiberglass, or can be bought for parts including: 3 good condition sails: main, jib, 150% genoa All-new, beautiful companionway hatch boards and rails Complete set of nice navy blue canvas covered interior cushions plus two cockpit cushions New swing keel pivot mechanism Trailer I have it posted on www.bargainnews.com for $700 negotiable. It's in Stratford, CT... I can be reached at greenpastures2304@yahoo.com if anyone's interested in buying it to fix up or for parts Tom Schmidt

Jun 2, 2004
- - Pennsylvania lake
Size

A 100% jib should fill the fore triangle of the forestay and the mast. An area less than this triangle is your smaller jib sizes of 90%, 80%, etc. with 60% being storm size. Genoa's are sized on how far beyond the mast they go in relationship to the fore triangle measurement. Measure the distance from the base of the forestay to the base of the mast, a 150 genoa would be 1.5 times this measurement, 110 would be 1.1. Now, I sail, full main and 150 genoa up to 12 to 15 mph winds, reefed main and 150 genoa 15 to 20 mph. Full main and 100 jib 20 to 28 mph, reefed main and 100 jib 28 to 35 mph. After 35 mph you should step down in jib size or sail with 100 jib or reefed main only.

Status
Not open for further replies.