Jib Sheets. length and diameter

Mar 26, 2023
macgregor 26s shell point
my 26s didn't come with Jib sheets and she was really pulling toward the wind the other day at 12 to 14 knots. I need to rig my jib. I think in need 36 feet on each side. just not sure the diameter> any help would be greatly appreciated. Still can't tie down the rudder tie down line because of a whacky tiller. Looking for other suggestions for that as well I thought of putting a bolt in the aluminum frame, which already has a hole and running a line to the rudder.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Jib sheets.... 1.5 times boat length. OR the longest distance will run from the clew of the sail, all the way forward around the mast and shrouds and back to the winch on the other side, plus a few more feet. Most sailors just figure 1,5 x boat length. For a larger headsail, 150% genoa for example, or for an asymetrical spinnaker. 2 times boat length. It helps if you figure this out your self... visualize how the sheet will be used and where in relation to sail's position.
As far as diameter, 5/16 (8mm) minimum for your size boat. But for jib sheets I'd consider going one size larger, 3/8 (10 mm) because it's more comfortable in the hand. The winches and cleat will be a consideration.... for halyards, mainsheet and traveler, on your size boat, definitely 5/16. The smaller size will still fit the winch and cleats, the "hand" isn't as important as headsail sheets, but mostly the smaller diameter line will rund through the blocks at deck and mast a lot more smoothly, less friction, less work.
Line type for sheets, basic club level double braid polyester (dacron) such as New England Sta-set (not X), etc.. but I particularly like the Samson Trophy Braid which has a spun.... as in Fuzzy!.... cover. It is very comforable to hold and it's spun surface helps grip the winch better.