Jib sheet track

Aug 27, 2015
I work with a sailing program which owns two Capri 22s, a Mark I (wing keel, tall rig) and a Mark II (fin keel, tall rig). Since we often take persons with disabilities sailing we have procured a working jib for the Mark II which will be easier for our skippers to handle with guests aboard. The problem is that the Mark II doesn't have a forward track on the cabin top for sheeting a 100% jib and the genoa track doesn't go far enough forward for a good lead. The Capri Mark I has such a track. I would like to mount a similar track on the Mark II but the Mark II cabin top is rounded in that area and there isn't quite as good a base to mount it. Also the cabin liner appears to have a gap between it and the deck in that area which might make it a little more difficult to through bolt the track. Anyone have experience doing such an installation? Does anyone know if Catalina might have drawings or instructions for such an installation?

Jul 3, 2013
CRABman said:
.....Also the cabin liner appears to have a gap between it and the deck in that area which might make it a little more difficult to through bolt the track. Anyone have experience doing such an installation?
My Tanzer 22 was like that - a space between the overhead hull liner and the underside of the deck.

The Tanzer factory used the solution of drilling a 3/4 inch diameter hole in the liner (just needs to big enough to get the proper sized socket in there to hold the nut), centered where the nut / bolt was for the track or the handrails or anything thing else that was mounted on the deck. The mounted item bolted to the deck piece. This approach has the nut and washer visible on the underside of the deck.

If the space between the liner and deck is deep enough to "contain" the protruding nut and bolt, the 3/4 inch hole can be covered by a plastic plug, like this: http://www.amazon.com/White-Plastic-Flu ... hole+plugs

If the space between the liner and deck is not deep enough to "contain" the protruding nut and bolt, you can still use the hole idea but use cap (domed) nuts to present a more finished appearance. http://www.inox.ie/acatalog/Dome_Nuts.html