Jib Sheet Stoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darcy Peck

I am the owner of a 1999 H340. Having just completed my first year with the boat I have a few areas of concern. The non skid gelcoat surface on the cockpit coaming has obvious defects which were repaired at the factory. I have viewed other new 340's with similar defects in the same areas. Must be a problem with the mold. Has anyone had these repaired successfully? I also note a stress crack along the starboard rail near the drain ahead of the arch. I too had problems with the jib sheet stoppers cutting the sheets. I solved this by running the sheets through a fairlead on the arch to a block on the stern pulpit then to the optional spinnaker winch. Works great & frees up the other winches. Another problem I have encountered is the throttle. Will not maintain a constant speed. Gradually slows to near idle speed. Have checked the manual however fail to find any adjustment. Any solutions out there? Problems hoisting the main sail were solved by simply easing the main sheet and ensuring the reefing lines are both free while hoisting. Overall I find the 340 to be a comfortable boat with more than satisfactory performance.

J

Joel L.

340 experience

Darcy, no problems with the gelcoat or jib sheets- we have in mast furling which I am sold on, no problems with that either. After chartering for years, we used to bring our own bungee cord along on any boat we chartered. Seems the Morse cable people and any other company making throttle controls & cables, have not quite figured out how to make a control with a positive stopping action. I hook a bungee cord between the small plastic ring below the throttle ball, and the ball itself, running it behind the wheel stop knob shaft, and then forward to the edge of the starboard cockpit table...works beautfully, is easily undone, and a cheap "fix". Good luck Joel Langdon

L

Larry Jackel

Slipping throttle, gelcoat cracks, and leaks

I had the same problem with the throttle, but I fixed it with a standard "cable squeezer" supplied by my dealer. The squeezer pinches the cable and supplies enough friction to prevent slippage. I found that it was critical to install the squeezer at the pedestal end of the cable. It was first installed near the engine. With that first installation it was not possible to find a friction setting that both prevents slippage at high RPM while also allowing the engine to return to idle when the Morse control lever is eased. My boat also came with patches on the gray gelcoat. I have decided not to notice it anymore. There are stress cracks in the hood that contains the instruments. The cracks are at the starboard corner where the hood forms a retainer for the companionway hatch. These cracks do concern me. Also, my starboard forward window started to leak just above the nav station. When I got the boat in April there were a bunch of leaks, all repaired by my dealer. This new leak just opened up when the weather got cooler and I am now worried about the long-term integrity of these window seals.

D

Darcy Peck

Slipping Throttle

Thanks for those responses regarding the throttle & gelcoat. Glad to see I am not alone. My dealer is going to take up my "fix list" including a sloppy rudder bearing with Hunter. I anxiously await the results. As with most other owners I have repaired several minor problems myself which affords me the opportunity to get to know my boat. I'll leave the big things such as rudder bearings etc. to the pro's.

Status
Not open for further replies.