Jib Sheet shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott Dube

Has anyone experienced their jib starboard sheet being shredded by the stopper? My 340 is a '97 I beleive the stopper is made by spinlock it is a pulley and gear type stopper. Hunbter knows of the problem and told the dealer to install a spacer below the stopper. The say that by raising the stopper it changes the angle that the sheet goes through and solves the problem. It doesn't! The real problem it appears to me is that they use the same device on the port and starboard sides, but the stoppers appear to have a top and bottom. on the port the pulley and the gear align nicely and it works well. On the starboard the pulley and the gear are not aligned and the the stopper fails, jams or shreds the sheet. Dealer has been great but is really following Hunters lead, any ideas? Scott

W

Wayne Estabrooks

Yup this is a problem

My '97 340 has the same jib sheet shredders. It really needs a better type of sheet stopper. I'm not sure what the answer is although I minimize using them but sometimes it is necessary. Let us know if you come up with a good solution.

B

Bob McDowell

Self Tailing?

The winches on this boat, self tailing or not?

A

Andy Hansom

Jib sheets

We also had the same problem on our 340. I changed the purchase on the mainsheet to 3:1 so I could adjust the main by hand and leave the jib sheet on the winch and not have to use the starboard sheet stopper. I think the starbord side woreout faster because we used that stopper more. Still not perfect but the sheets last longer. Leslie, Andy 340 Wanderlust

S

Scott Dube

More info

Yes I have self tailing winches. I'm not sure WE should have to accept the idea that these stoppers don't work and ruin the sheets. It seems Hunter may have cut a corner here and that they should make good! Am I crazy or what?

S

Scott Dube

Jib Sheet shredder possible fix

After talking with Hunter, it seems that the improper alignment of the lever/gear on the stopper is not correct. The gear part is on a bushing of the same composite/plastic material. Hunter says that the gear/lever will slide on that bushing to properly align. I think that will solve my problem. If anyone else tries it, let me know... Scott

S

Scott Dube

I think we have a fix - more

What happened to the responses? I think we have a fix. After discussions with Hunter it turns out you can move the lever/gear assy. up. As you might remember my gear was not aligned with the pulley and the sheet was riding over the gear and being shredded. Hunter says that if I take a wide slotted screwdriver and work the lever up until it aligns that I should be OK. We will see. The dealer confirmed today that after I told them about this they tried it and it did move the lever (on another 340) so we'll see if it stops the shredding. I think it will! Scott

J

Jim Anderson

Add a starboard winch

Had the same problem. Added an additional winch behind and slightly left of the sheet stopper. Reinforced it underneath with a 1/4 inch aluminum reinforcement plate. Works great.

G

Gregg Anderson

Just Say No

I've stopped using this poor excuse of a design. I am using the Spinnaker winches for the jib sheets. I have added 2 padeye fairleads on each side to give the jib sheets a pretty clean run back to the spinnaker winches. I'm using the OEM track and fairlead. I like the concept of freeing up the top deck winches and allowing for more single handling. I have been sailing in San Francisco for 1 month in very strong winds. So far the fairleads have held. No more jamming sheet stoppers or trying to share winches. I have the Hunter " riser pad solution" installed on the jib stoppers. They did not even come close to working properly.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Hunter fix doesn't work

Had the same problem. Replaced sheets after first year. Put the shims in supplied by Hunter. Center stopper as recommended. New sheets showed wear the first time I tried the stopper. In the third year now and haven't used the stopper except for light work. But have used spinnaker winches when necessary. Wish there was a replacement that worked for the cheek blocks stoppers, but in the meantime, I would recommend using anything else. Ever think about running the line around the base of the starboard winch over to the port winch. Might work. Think I'll try that the next time. Anyone find any good replacements for these cheek block line stoppers?

M

Mike Dawson

Try larger sheets

Had the same problem with our 1999 H340. The original sheets showed noticable wear (starboard side) in only a few weeks. Had the sheet jam real bad in the stopper once. Replaced the sheets with larger diameter ones, seems to work abit better. Appears to be a poor alignment problem. Good Luck. M.Dawson H340-Overload

Status
Not open for further replies.