Jib roller furling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Cook

My 1974 O'Day 27 had a roller furling which the previous owner removed. With the boat, I received a jib sail for the roller. Can this sail be modified so that I can use it (and if so, how)? Is it possible (or likely) to find a good used roller furling? How can I tell if a roller furling is compatible with my boat and sail? Where can I find diagrams and instructions? I'm new to sailing so please be patient with me. Thanks for your help. JimC

M

mattmansh@yahoo.com

furling

first off jim , how old is the main on your boat ? this is the deciding question. if you need a new main you might as well get head sails at the same time. i know what you are thinking( they cost alot), but would you buy just half and engine? Hmmm didnt think so. after you make the decision of who to buy sails from and you get your estimate ,you can decide if the price of the furling is worth it. yeh they are nice but i would rather spend my money on really good full featured sails. i think you will be more happy. personally i think changing headsails is easier than most people make it out to be. just think ahead and plan plan plan . the danger factor is over rated . those of us who sail singlehanded will gladly share our tips. back to your question you can send it off to get recut and hanks put on but unless it is in really good shape ( or i just didn't have the money) i wouldn't mess with it. congats on your new boat and happy sailing.

H

Herb

Luff Tape Size?

Hi Jim, I have been looking to replace my older (broken)furling system and have run into a problem with the luff tape size. The older systems used a thicker luff tape. My sails are fitted with a #8 (8/32)tape. The newer foils are smaller and most have double slots so that you can change sales. The newer foils use a #4 0r #6 luff tape, so you need to change the tape. Cost about $200 per sail. I have looked for used furlers so that I don't have to modify my sails but have not found any in good condition. Furlers are really a nice feature, I wouldn't be without one. So far I have been able to repair mine but I may have to go out and buy a new one. If I do I will pay a little extra and buy a unit that is oversized (larger drum)rather then undersized which I think may make it easier to reef and operate. Good Luck. Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.