Jib halyard question.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I recently ran my halyards to the cockpit on my c25. This is a grand improvement for getting the sails up singlehanded. Dropping them is less than satisfactory though. Turned into the wind my main drops decent, it could use the slugs and track cleaned and lubed, but the jib drops maybe half way and has to be pulled down the rest of the way by going forward. It was the same way before running my halyard aft, but I was already up on deck and simply a step or two from the forestay to pull the sail down.

Everything moves freely with minimal drag, it seems to be an issue of lack of weight and friction from the hanks on the forestay. Can I add weight to the shackle?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Try when you head into the wind, dropping the jib first then the main in reverse order of the way you raise them. Works better, I single hand with hanked genoa and have no downhaul/.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you do the search on jib downhaul you may find my prior posts on this subject, did one just last week. Using the downhaul, sail on a port tack, heave to then drop the jib. It'll flake nicely on the foredeck, since the naks will let it fold itself.