Jib halyard lenght H-34/

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dale Wilson

With the rough sailing conditions we have here on lovely Lake Perry, KS I think I need to replace the jib halyard. Anyone know offhand the length required for a Hunter 34? Thanks.

A

Allan Hadad

Halyard Length

I don't have the exact length, but you could raise the jib, measure the halyard tail from the mast base, lower the jib and measure the tail again. The difference in length should be added to the original length plus 46 feet. which I believe is the mast height. It is probably around 120 feet total. You also could pull a string through with the existing halyard and then measure the halyard on the dock. Use the string to pull the new halyard back in. Good Luck. Allan

L

Lachapelle André

Jib halyard lenght

As per the specs of my H34, the original halyard was a 100' 7/16" polyester rope, witch I would extend to 110' when I'll replace it, cause may halyard goes to the cockpit roof winch, but when the winch is occupied, I can-t reach the stern one, wich I could if I had 110'. Good luck and good sailing. André Wind Spirit 3, Lake Champlain, NY

P

PJ

Add some extra feet

as Andre mentioned if you want to utilize a primary winch, but then add another 4-5 feet. The reason for the extra feet is so that every couple years as you notice some wear at the top of the mast, or anywhere else where the halyard chafes, you can trim off 6 or 8 inches at the shackel, retie or splice, and the entire halyard moves up several inches allowing a fresh covering to be exposed to those constant chafing areas. Obviously don't let the chafing get to a point that is detrimental to the overall strength of the halyard. It beats having to turn the halyard end for end, or buying another 100+ feet of halyard sooner than necessary. BOL PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.