JIB HALYARD FOR 272 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WOODY

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD A JIB HALYARD TO MY 272 SO I USE A CRUISING SPINNKER. HAS ANY ONE ADDED ONE WITH OUT GOING UP MAST ? I ONLY HAVE TWO INTERNAL HALYARDS IN MAST- MAIN AND TOPPING LIFT. THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A THIRD. ANY INFORMATION WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANKS, WOODY

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Halyard

Woody - There is no good way to avoid going up the mast or bringing the mast down to you - I'd think going up is easier. On racing boats its not unheard up to use the forward halyard to raise a double block, each reaved with a line to produce two halyards. I don't think this is a sufficiently robust system to stand up to long term use, however. Though daunting the first time, going up the rig is not really a good idea. Use both halyards to belay to ensure safety and you'll be all set. If you want specifics on techinique, drop me a note and I'll talk you through it. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

T

Tom Ehmke

Jib Halyard for 272

Woody, I installed a halyard and rove it out of the front of the mast truck on my 272 a couple of years ago. When I bought the boat there were only two lines rove through the sheaves at the mast head just as you describe. I suspect that that was SOP for rigging the 272 when it was commissioned. On the 272 there are sheaves forward and aft in the mast truck and you can reeve a line through one of the forward sheaves at the truck so that it exits on one side or the other of the mast step. There are spare sheaves at the step on both sides. The new line can then be led to a deck organizer and back to the cockpit if you so choose. I currently use the halyard as a spare as I don't have a spinnaker or any other sail to fly from it. Its most frequent use is to support the wind catcher that I use in the front hatch when at anchor. It also serves as a means of going up the mast. Now I don't have to depend on the main halyard only when going aloft. Now you probably want to know how I did it. When I rove the new halyard, the mast was unstepped.At the end of the previous season I had removed the main halyard and the topping lift and replaced them with two messenger lines. I usually soak the lines to clean them and get them out of the harsh Ohio winter. During the winter I decided to reeve the new halyard from the front of the mast. The following spring during commissioning I disconnected the mast truck and mast step, and using one of the small diameter messenger lines which was already in place from removing the lines the previous season, sewed both the main halyard and the new halyard to the line. The truck and step have to be removed so that the lines can be guided through the appropriate sheaves. I then pulled the two through the mast, rove them through the sheaves top and bottom before reconnecting the truck and step. I finished the rigging operation by messengering the topping lift back onto its sheaves and now have three internally led lines exiting at the mast step. I have done it by going aloft too, but going aloft and messengering a line to exit the mast step at the proper location is a job that requires PATIENCE and a day with long periods of windlessness. My method was to lower a weighted messenger line through the proper sheave at the mast head and have a (VERY PATIENT) partner eventually pull the line through the correct sheave at the mast step with a small wire hook. It worked and we were very proud of the job, but it is terrifically exasperating because any movement on the boat causes the line to swing away from the sheave location. That's probably all or more than you want to know about reeving a new line through the mast of a 272. Luck and Patience, Tom

W

WOODY

ATT: TOM

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THE EXTRA HALYARD.I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL WAYS BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT EITHER UP THE MAST OR TAKE IT DOWN TO ADD THE EXTRA HALYARD. I WILL PROBALY WAIT UNTIL NEXT SUMMER WHEN IT IS TOO HOT GO SAILING IN FLA. AS WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF STORM SEASON AND INTO FLA. SAILING SEASON. THANKS, WOODY

V

Vic

Woody ... meet me in Naples

and I show you a gennacker in action Vic

W

WOODY

ATT: VIC @ NAPLES

VIC, SEND ME YOUR E MAIL AND I WILL COME BY NEXT TIME I AM IN NAPLES SEND TO EWBUS @ ATT.NET THANKS WOODY

Status
Not open for further replies.