Jib cleats that fit 1970s era Javelins?

WFON

Nov 9, 2019
O'Day Javelin Mascoma Lake
I have a 1970s era O'Day Javelin that needs a set of jib cleats. DR Marine sells jib cleat cars, but it looks like the jib sheet blocks are original to this hull and jib cleats were never mounted (keep the crew busy?). I am planning to mount cam cleats on the centerboard trunk. I'm hoping there might be wood underneath the top of the trunk, but I'm not counting on it. There is a photo where cleats are mounted on a metal bridge spanning the centerboard trunk so as to have the cleats far forward. I'm assuming the bridge was fabricated as it doesn't look like standard O'Day equipment. 3-18 Move Main and Jib Sheet Cleats Forward and 3-19 Rake the Mast Forward to Correct Weatherhelm | Javelin Journal | 1973 O\'Day Javelin I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience mounting jib cleats on the centerboard trunk. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Posting a picture of your track and the sliders would be helpful.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Here is what a 1979 DS II has, JAVELIN should be similar. The problem with making changes is that there is really no access to the back side of the surface. It appears that the screws are sheet-metal screws into either the fiberglass or a metal backing plate (but I doubt the metal plate, think mine was backed up by plywood. I replaces end screws with larger diameter to resecure.

Attachments

WFON

Nov 9, 2019
If I mount cleats on the centerboard trunk (photo of hull earlier in thread) can screws be used? If a backing plate needs to be used, is there advice on doing that? Or perhaps a type of toggle bolt? It's not clear how much clearance there is from the top of the centerboard trunk and the retracted centerboard.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I'd give Rudy at D&R Marine a call, (508) 644-3001 he advised me about adding cleats on the CB trunk on my DS II (I haven't done it yet) . Prior to about 1975 that is how the Javelin was rigged, with cam-cleats on the top of the CB trunk for the jib as far as I know. JIb blocks were on tracks as shown above, I know the top of the DS II centerboard trunk has enough thickness of fiberglas to allow drilling and tapping for screws, not sure about Javelin, but would assume same. I see by looking at the top picture that you d ohave a 1971 or newer Javelin, and looks like around 1971-2, so here is a picture of how the boat was originally setup. There should be holes in the top of the CB trunk where the cleats were mounted?

Attachments

Last edited:

WFON

Nov 9, 2019
Thanks to everyone who replied - it was very helpful as I get my Javelin set up.