Jib Car - worn gasket under the car

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
We have a 2000 model year Beneteau 321. There is a rubber gasket under the jib car which is about to fall off (see picture).
I could not find a replacement part for the rubber gasket but wanted to take the jib car off. The ends of the tracker could not come off since the screws turned. I suspect there is a nut underneath but could not find it. Will look again next weekend.
I also think the jib car should be able to be removed without sliding off the track.

Any idea where to buy the rubber cushion? It looks like a Lewmar and I have emailed them.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Figure out the brand of the block and see if you can source the "stand up" piece.... Many hardware makers use a simple spring around the shaft to do the same thing as your rubber sleeve.

You can remove the block from the slide car... but not the car from the track without sliding it off the end.

Jul 8, 2005
Figure out the brand of the block and see if you can source the "stand up" piece.... Many hardware makers use a simple spring around the shaft to do the same thing as your rubber sleeve.

You can remove the block from the slide car... but not the car from the track without sliding it off the end.
Thanks, joe!

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
I had a similar issue on the genoa cars for my 2002 B361 - the original material deteriorated and fell off. I couldn't find any replacements available, so I ended up just taking some bungee cord and wrapping it around the bottom of the block a couple of times and tying it off. That did a good job of holding the car upright.

Jul 8, 2005
I had a similar issue on the genoa cars for my 2002 B361 - the original material deteriorated and fell off. I couldn't find any replacements available, so I ended up just taking some bungee cord and wrapping it around the bottom of the block a couple of times and tying it off. That did a good job of holding the car upright.
Thanks, Capn! Great idea.
Sometimes the homemade solutions are the best (and cheapest)!

Oct 8, 2013
Beneteau 321 1999 Rose Haven, MD
Same on our 1999 321 a few years ago. I got an answer from Lewmar, which was along the lines of 'we don't have that part, but some other sailor used a portion of a plumbing part as a stand-in.' That wasn't particularly useful, other than being an invitation to MacGyver a solution. The rubber-ish end piece of the track does come off, but if the screw is spinning its hole will need to be refilled and tapped - I'm pretty sure it is not a machine screw.

Good Luck!

Adam

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
have a look at this videos from ASPLTD . it shows how to install stand up springs and boots .

Many manufacturers sell springs. for example:

Harken sells two sizes of pvc boot.

....or....
I've used a short piece of foam pipe insulation wrapped with vinyl electrical tape. It lasted for at least 10 years and then I sold the boat. I bough it at my local big box home repair store.