Jammed Outhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2008
Catalina 310 Waretown, NJ
The outhaul on my boom has never really moved to any degree (maybe an inch or two at most. ). Doing some reading of other Catalina owners (30 footers) many have said the internal outhaul is of poor design on most of the Catalina boats. Has anyone had the same problem and a possible fix? It would be nice to ease the outhaul in light air to put a little belly in the mainsail.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There is usually a "line jam" where the outhaul exits the boom at the gooseneck, if your outhaul has been "led aft" to the cockpit without removing the line jam it would only allow you to loosen it an inch or two before jamming again. My 320 and 270 both required me to go to the mast and undo the jam and adjust outhaul from there.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
abyssal

When I changed my mainsail from rope footed to loose footed, I also replaced the old cable.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
My outhaul was overridden with a sail tie when I bought the boat. Cable locked up and line too short to reach the cleat on the boom. I tore into it last weekend and found the job not too difficult. I suspended the boom off of the main halyard and used the vang and halyard to find position and balance. Topping lift removed of course. Only tricky part was knowing where and how hard to hammer on the end caps to drive them out of the boom. Gentle, as there are some thin sections. Only corrosion solvent I had on board was Deoxit (works wonders on electrical contact corrosion, so...) and this did the trick.

Looking at the photos you can see the cheap hardware leaves an upgrade opportunity. I reassembled without upgrading blocks, but if any more trouble, I'll know what to do.

Work from the front, but you will need to pull the aft end cap and remove the sheave to allow the cable to be pulled into the boom. I just tied a line on the cable as a tracer.

My boat had 5/16 line installed, but the manual calls for 1/4. 1/4 seems to work smoothly now and plenty stiff. Only regret is I chose not to replace the reef line at the same time, but the 100° Houston heat was clouding my judgement. /Ed

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.