Jammed counterweight on 40.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Hall

I recently bought a 40.5 built in 1994 that suffered a total immersion in Lake Coeur D'Alene. The counterweight that prevents the saloon from falling when the table height is adjusted, has jammed inside its metal tube. I assume this as a result of the immersion in the lake. Any suggestions in freeing it up?

A

Arthur Boas

Try this

Fist of all, there was a problem that there was never a drain hole in the bottom of the compression post. Drill a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom facing aft. Stand back, as water will shoot out. Next through the pulley hole where the counter weight line comes out, just start spraying some WD 40 downwards. It's going to end up in your bilge at this point through the drain hole, so maybe put a tube in the hole, and drain it into a small bucket. Let it sit, and perhaps the lubricant will free up the weight.

M

Michael Duff

We Be Jammin!

I've often wondered about this question on what to do when the weight jams...I've also thought that an adjusting collar with wing nut under the table could be used...this would be a split stainless ring with a flange on the bent out ends to tighten or loosen the adjustment... Liberal quantities of wd40 may help the jammin...let it sit overnight....just remember whatever you spray in may smell for a long time...the good thing I guess was the submersion of your vessel was in fresh water! I and crew will be in Desolation Sound and area this summer...hope to see you and the adjustable table working then.... Mike Duff mduff@uniserve.com SV ORION Hunter 40.5 (1993) PS Keep in touch as I am in second year at the 'University of Hunter!!!'

R

Robert Hall

Thanks, Arthur!-re stuck counterweight

Arthur , your suggestion of drilling a hole near the bottom of the compression post did the trick. There was indeed no place for the water to go which remained inside the shaft after Diana's lake baptism. As soon as the hole was drilled approximately 4 litres of water poured out and the counterweight was free to do its thing.

A

Arthur Boas

Glad to help

I've taken apart almost everything on my 40.5, and found it to be very well constructed. I know you'll be happy with it. Feel free to contact me with any other questions. a.boas@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.