Jabsco Toilet Backpressure when draining

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Bird

The toilet works fine except after flushing the toilet, and throwing the switch/paddle to dry on my manual Jabsco Toilet there is a LOT of pressure on the pump handle. If you push very slowly and firmly the drain function works. I've checked the obvious, lubricated using standard off the shelf toilet lube, ensured the vent from the holding tank is clear. The vent was blocked originally BUT now it's clear, I still have the problem. It has been suggestted that I buy and use a rebuild kit to replace all working parts. Has anybody suffered a similar problem, and knows the cure??

J

Joe

Same problem for first few strokes

I experience the same problem for the first four or five strokes on the pump, then it works just fine. I too have lubricated the pump and checked the vent line. Guess I have come to accept the fact that this is the way it is, but my guests have a little difficulty with the process.

S

Steve

Supposed to work harder

I talked to a dealer about my toilet, which is a Raritan Compact and he mentioned that when you are pumping the toilet dry, with the switch down, EXPECT it to be hard, since the pump is actually pumping against itself in the effort to flush the water out and replace it with air. He said this was normal, simply pump slowly a few strokes and the water should disappear into the holding tank. If this is drying your toilet, it is working correctly, according to this information. Steve

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

The problem is a failed wet/dry valve

A VERY common problem in Jabsco manual toilets. It's not in the rebuild kit, so rebuilding won't help. The wet/dry valve is little "gate" that the lever swings to block and unblock incoming flush water...due to a mfr'g defect that Jabsco doesn't seem inclined to correct (it's been a common problem in toilets mfr'd during about the last 5 years or so, often even while the toilet is still under warranty), it hangs, creating backpressure. Gently nudging the lever back and forth can sometimes free it...trying to force the toilet to flush against usually evnentually breaks it. The solution: a new wet/dry valve. Call Jabsco.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Not true...

I think some dealers will make up just about anything to avoid having to work on toilets! There should be little if any difference in the amount of pressure needed to flush ANY manual toilet in either mode. If anything, there should be a little LESS resistance in the dry mode because the toilet isn't pulling in flush water, it's sucking air. If you're experiencing "hard" flushing of your Raritan Compact in the dry mode, I suggest you give Raritan a call directly. 800-352-5630 x 2. Ask for Vic Willman.

S

Steve

Thanks Peggy

Thanks for your reply, Peggy, but the way the dealer (who would gladly sell me something if he could, but he said it didn't NEED anything!) explained it, WITH BOTH THE SEACOCKS CLOSED (Maybe that is the problem) that the pump is actually pumping against itself, somehow (the way he actually explained it, it made sense) and that it took a LITTLE extra effort (not an impossible one) to drain the toilet dry. This worked out to be true (so far as I can see) and I am not having any other problems. Should I have kept the seacocks opened? Forgive me if my explaination is novice... I am new at this. Steve

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Intake seacock is the only one that

affects how a toilet flushes. If it's open, the toilet can pull in flush water in the wet mode...if it's closed, it can't. Many boats--those equipped with holding tanks that can only be emptied by pumpout--only have one seacock...the toilet intake. Any seacock to dump a tank at sea is not only downstream of the toilet, but also downstream of the tank, so it would have nothing to do with the operation of the toilet. If there's a y-valve in the toilet discharge line that allows the toilet to be directed overboard, and if it's aimed toward a closed thru-hull, you wouldn't be able to flush the toilet at all...'cuz once the head discharge hose between the toilet and whatever is blocking the line fills up with waste and/or flush water, it has no place to go except back into the toilet. However, that's not a function of toilet operation, it's just what happens when you try to put more into a pipe that's closed at one end than the pipe can hold. Since you're new to all this, you might want to click on the link below.

T

Tom S.

I agree with Peggy. Sometimes I have the same

experience as you describe, but then I push the lever *all* the way to the right (dry mode) and the pump works without the back pressure problem. If you are a bit mechanical, you could try tearing the top of seeing if find why it's not doing its thing.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

It's not "doing its thing" because

There's a mfr'g flaw somewhere in the mechanism or the gate itself that fails. It's not likely it can be repaired...others have tried. However, Jabsco is pretty good about replacing it. So my advice: don't waste time messing with it...you could end up creating problems you don't have now in addition to that one. Call 'em and ask for a new one.

S

Steve

Peggy... talked to Vic

... and Vic said I was right... at least the dealer in Seattle (Sanitation Systems Inc.) was correct. The original Raritan Compact toilet did not have a vacuum break device and to empty the toilet DID take some sort of hard pressure on the pump... more than it did to fill it with water. The Raritan Compact II had this device, which made it equally easy to fill with water or empty. Vic sends regards.... Steve

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

If Vic says it, it's true

He's been with Raritan nearly 30 years...there isn't anything about any product Raritan makes that he doesn't know, and he taught me just about everything I know about 'em. And, through you, he just taught me something more. I knew that the current Compact II doesn't have that problem...but was not aware that the original Compact did. It's been out of production quite a while, and not that many people own one. Thanks for updating my info!

A

Andrew Bird

Thank you Peggy

Peggy, thanks for the advice - I have talked to Jabsco and they were extremely generous and helpful. A great supplier, their excellence in customer service deserves awards.

D

Dragonfly

I have pressure on wet pump...

I have a similar problem...except on the first wet pump/prime. The first time I use the head each weekend, I wet pump to prime the head. I pump 4-5 times...no water enters the bowl but I get a lot of pressure. If I hold down on the plunger, it seems to finally "break lose" and water comes in and the head works fine. Seems like a valve is sticking. Is this the same valve? The entire pump assembly on the head has been replace already. Boat was new in March. Should I expect this much trouble with a head?

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Yep, same problem--failed wet/dry valve

It's actually a defective valve that Jabsco apparently considers more cost effective to replace than to correct the defect, 'cuz it's been a common failure for several years...and first year failure is not uncommon. So give 'em a call and tell 'em your symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.