Jabsco quiet flush leak…..

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So I have two jabsco quiet flush heads. For the past 7 years never had a problem. I did a gasket change and joker on one of them 3 years ago with no issues….. works great. The other, I changed the joker valve also 3 years ago and that was it as it was running fine. Last summer towards the end of season this one started having a leak….. I checked the screws for the joker and pump assembly and all was tight. Figured the gasket on the pump assembly so decided to change gaskets and clean this spring. Just finished the job. One issue I noticed was the main gasket is slightly larger than the grove?? I cleaned assembled and bolted together. Put some water in the bowel and for the first 24 hours all was dry. Went to boat yesterday and wife noticed water around bowl.I am assuming the gasket didn’t seal perfect although assembly was tight up against head with no gaps. I used Teflon grease to hold the gasket in place…. Should I have used a better grease for water and used a significant amount? Peggie??

thanks
Greg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am not sure if this will work for you, I put some lanocoat in the groove along with the rubber gasket. It will fill all the gaps and help the gasket slip into place.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Im wondering if I should use a little permatex and make my own gasket…..

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
All may be TOO tight. Over-tightening screws/bolts can cause gaskets to "pucker" around the screw, causing leaks around the screws. It doesn't take long for the pucker to become permanent, requiring another new gasket. Try backing the screws off a half turn and wait a few days to see if you did that in time for the rubber to "relax."

This applies to bowl gaskets and joker valves and anything else with screws or bolts that go through rubber gaskets.

--Peggie

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
All may be TOO tight. Over-tightening screws/bolts can cause gaskets to "pucker" around the screw, causing leaks around the screws. It doesn't take long for the pucker to become permanent, requiring another new gasket. Try backing the screws off a half turn and wait a few days to see if you did that in time for the rubber to "relax."

This applies to bowl gaskets and joker valves and anything else with screws or bolts that go through rubber gaskets.

--Peggie
Hello Peggie, Yes only hand tightened them snug..... Like I mentioned the gasket for the pump assembly did not fit in the concave grove..... gasket was a bit large I have a feeling that is the issue. I am considering making my own gasket for this. What do you think??

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sounds like a plan to me...although, have you considered shaving the "extra" off the gasket you have?

You can find rubber gasket material at Home Depot. Thickness matters, btw...too thin and you might as well not have it.

--Peggie

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
The entire gasket provided in the rebuild kit is larger than the given slot in the pump assembly. Not fatter. No shaving possible. What a pain…..

thanks
Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Before you do anything you might want to give Jabsco tech support a call. This might be a known issue that can get you a replacement that'll fit. Paul Campagna is their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246

--Peggie

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Before you do anything you might want to give Jabsco tech support a call. This might be a known issue that can get you a replacement that'll fit. Paul Campagna is their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246

--Peggie
thanks Peggie! Will call him tomorrow