Jabsco electric head vs Raritan, repair or replace? (Thank you Peggy for the macerator recommendations)

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
I have seen some of Peggy's posts on macerators jabsco vs raritan - just replaced my most difficult one with raritan based on teh recommendation (It was teh most difficult one so hopefully no more repairs)

Now, both electric jabsco heads (fresh water) both leak water into the head if the water source is left on (PO put manual shutoffs on them which is a pain, it is time to repair) and now, they do not fill up quickly enough or at all when you press the fill button.

I cant help but to think instead of rebuilding the heads, should I just replace with raritan, are they really that much better or what would you suggest? We are moving aboard next month then making our way to the keys then the Caribbean for a year or so... Would prefer a smooth operating head(s) Thank you in advance

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Raritan toilets really are that much better than Jabsco, but I suspect your problem may be the solenoid valve in the flush water intake line, not the toilet. Jabsco solenoid valves don't have a long lifespan and may be the reason the PO installed manual shutoff valves instead of replacing 'em. The correct solenoid valve for your toilet is in the owners manual...If you don't have the owners manual for your toilet, I can post a link if you can provide the model name/#.

--Peggie

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
Raritan toilets really are that much better than Jabsco, but I suspect your problem may be the solenoid valve in the flush water intake line, not the toilet. Jabsco solenoid valves don't have a long lifespan and may be the reason the PO installed manual shutoff valves instead of replacing 'em. The correct solenoid valve for your toilet is in the owners manual...If you don't have the owners manual for your toilet, I can post a link if you can provide the model name/#.

--Peggie
Thank you Peggy, where is the model # located? I have not pulled anything bnut also have not seen a model number jump out at me :) I am heading there now and will look again

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa

--Peggie
Peggy - I dont want to create more work, I am sure you have outlined this before. high level, why are they so much better? it may be justified to just buy new heads or at least the raritan kit to go into the jabsco bowl??

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Higher quality design and materials, have always made Raritan equipment consistently top rated because they out-perform and are far more durable than their competition. Plus Raritan's tech support is always available--call and a trained tech answers the phone. And they still make everything in the US.

For about the last 10 years, Jabsco has been owned by Xylem Flow Control, a US company that does -0- manufacturing in the US...it's all in 3 locations, the UK, Mexico and China. All Jabsco equipment sold in the US is made in Mexico with components and materials sourced from China and other Asian countries.

So if I thought you needed a new toilet, I'd recommend either a Raritan SeaEra conversion (sea water) or their Marine Elegance (fresh water)...both were top rated by PS in their test of macerating electric toilets a few years ago. But I'm fairly certain that a new solenoid valve is all you need. The model name/# should be on the pump/motor assembly...remove the cover to access it.

May Jabsco electric is so dang loud I keep hoping it will break so I can replace it with something quieter.
I'm guessing it's a sea water toilet 37010. Toilets designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water are a lot quieter.

--Peggie

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
Higher quality design and materials, have always made Raritan equipment consistently top rated because they out-perform and are far more durable than their competition. Plus Raritan's tech support is always available--call and a trained tech answers the phone. And they still make everything in the US.

For about the last 10 years, Jabsco has been owned by Xylem Flow Control, a US company that does -0- manufacturing in the US...it's all in 3 locations, the UK, Mexico and China. All Jabsco equipment sold in the US is made in Mexico with components and materials sourced from China and other Asian countries.

So if I thought you needed a new toilet, I'd recommend either a Raritan SeaEra conversion (sea water) or their Marine Elegance (fresh water)...both were top rated by PS in their test of macerating electric toilets a few years ago. But I'm fairly certain that a new solenoid valve is all you need. The model name/# should be on the pump/motor assembly...remove the cover to access it.

I'm guessing it's a sea water toilet 37010. Toilets designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water are a lot quieter.

--Peggie
Thank you peggy
Ours on SV Freedom is a fresh water flush and the solenoid makes sense, I have cleaned it out ince a long time ago and did but a pre filter for them but never installed it
The model number we have is a quiet flush electric marine toilet model 37045-7001

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No wet blanket here, but our 1991 P42 came with dual Jabsco sea water electric heads that still do their designed job. Yes, a bit noisy for the brief flushing period, but the job, they do well.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I second what Terry said. We have two that are fed fresh water. Bit loud but work well.

Greg

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa

--Peggie
Peggy @Peggie Hall HeadMistress - quick question. I replaced the Macerator and went with a Raritan. Everything worked just fine and matched up but we dont use this head. Well, we started to and the solids do not always macerate and we have to unclog the commode. I pour the bacterial nomex on it and it quickly breaks it down but still does not flush. I need to actually pump it out and can immediately pour it back in and it will flush but what a pain and not good with guests;)
Any suggestions?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You lost me...are you saying you replaced your Jabsco toilet's pump/motor assembly with a Raritan macerator pump?? If so, that would explain your problems with it, cuz maerator pumps are only used to dump a holding tank.

We may need to discuss this more detail than is practical in a discussion forum...send me a PM if you want to do that.

--Peggie

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
You lost me...are you saying you replaced your Jabsco toilet's pump/motor assembly with a Raritan macerator pump?? If so, that would explain your problems with it, cuz maerator pumps are only used to dump a holding tank.

We may need to discuss this more detail than is practical in a discussion forum...send me a PM if you want to do that.

--Peggie
I will PM you, yes, I replaced the pump/motor at the base of the pedestal