Issues with Raymarine ST4000 Autopilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
OK..I need some advice..I have the old standard instruments, ST60 Tridata,ST60Wind, & ST4000 Autopilot. When I pick a course, say 200 degrees, and engage the autopilot, the Autopilot instrument holds on 200 degrees, the wheel makes adjustments, all looks normal. Then after a minute or so, I look at magnetic compass and it says I am heading at say, 170 degrees, the autopilot still shows 200 degrees. I turn off the autopilot to "standby" and immediately it shows 170 degrees, same as magnetic compass... I checked the connections, wires, all seem right...what could be the problem? Is the control unit just shot and time for a replacement autopilot..say the ST6002? plus the companion R18151 course computer? (($1200 appx)...thoughts?

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
It sounds as if the wire feeding current to the auto pilot motor is running close to the auto pilot compass when you engage the auto pilot motor, current flows to motor and distorts the compass. It this is the problem there are two solutions. Move the compass away from the motor wire, or twist the wire to cancel out the magnetic field emitted when current flows.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
You also might want to check and see if anything with metal or a battery is somewhere near your fluxgate compass. My compass is in the port locker in the cabin on the forward bulkhead and if I would put my laptop case in the V-berth just in front of the bulkhead it would mess up the auto pilot.

Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
I need to check out the status and location of the flux gate compass. I could have stuff nearby affecting it. The Raymarine technical staff told me to check the ohm readings on the flux gate compass. He thinks it may need to be replaced. Will report results and thanks all for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.