issue with engine jumping into gear when at neutral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
I had the boat out for the 2nd time yesterday and something strange happened while docking. Twice, while it was idleing in neutral, the engine/tranny popped into forward gear. I am not sure if I just did not have the gear lever back far enough for neutral or if this is a different issue causing this?

Anyone else experience something similar?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I read on a thread somewhere that you can adjust the amount of friction on the controls. Il've had the pedestal apart to lube the controls and steering gear, but at the time, I didn't check for any adjustors. As a matter of fact, my throttle cable is now too loose, and doesn't stay in the cruise setting, so I plan to take the pedestal apart again next season. Most shifter linkages employ detents to hold the linkage in position, typically a ball with a spring behind it. Might be something to check on yours. Good luck!

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
It happened to me once, put it in neutral and went forward to grab the dock lines...it is amazing how fast you can get back to the helm when you here the tranny drop into gear and the bow is two feet from the concrete wall. It has not happened again so I guess I just didn't get it completely in neutral...as you might guess I am much more careful on shifter location before going forward.

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
It happened to me once, put it in neutral and went forward to grab the dock lines...it is amazing how fast you can get back to the helm when you here the tranny drop into gear and the bow is two feet from the concrete wall. It has not happened again so I guess I just didn't get it completely in neutral...as you might guess I am much more careful on shifter location before going forward.
funny, that is what happened to me, but I was backed into the slip. Wife and father-in-law were at the bow connecting those lines and I got off the boat to get the stern lines.........then all of a sudden my wifes says "hey, why are we going forward" :eek:. I had a small "cheater" line attached to the winch which prevented to much forward movement and quickly instructed her to turn off the engine (because I was not sure what was happening) since the boat was then too far away to for me to jump back on board.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Similar here. I coasted into slip in neutral, jumped out to attach the bow lines, and was shocked to see my boat pulling back out in reverse w/o me. Luckily it was throttled all the way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.