Islander Bahama 30 Gear Shifter Cable Replacement

Jun 16, 2022
Islander Bahama 30 San Diego
Hi Mates! The gear shift cable on my Islander 30 is very old and way too long so there are twists and turns and I'm sure it's helping cause the binding issues I'm having. It is split in one area as well which just adds to the reasons to replace it. I have scoured YouTube and all the pedestals I've seen have a bolt running out of the pedestal housing about halfway down that secures a bracket inside which holds the throttle and gear shift cables in place. My pedestal has no such bolt or obvious attach point and I can't figure out how to remove the cable, short of completely disassembling the entire pedestal. Any guidance or leadership on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 16, 2022
Islander Bahama 30 San Diego
Update. For anyone who has had the problem I've described above, I've figured it out. First, on my boat there is no bracket or bolt on the pedestal securing the throttle and shifter cable to it. The cables simply are fed from the top, down through the pedestal, through the sole, and ending up in a bracket inches from the transmission shifter arm. That bracket is the only hardware that holds the entire cable in place. The reason I couldn't pull the cable out from the top is that it was binding just below the sole. So I carefully used a cutoff wheel to slice through the cable with about a foot of cable left so I can use the to pull the new cable through.

By the way, my cable has 5/16 inch ends, and while West Marine and other marine retailers were quoting something around $100, I found a truck supplier that sold it for about $58. Stainless steel and works like a charm!