Islander 28 - Stuck zippers in interior headliner

Sep 13, 2023
Islander 28 Long Beach
I just recently purchased an Islander 28 - the interior is in very nice condition, with the islander headliner throughout -
I am trying to add some clutches and a winches on each side of the companionway and need access to under the headliner at those locations.
Zippers are stuck on both sides - and I have no idea how to unstick them.
Does anyone have any ideas/tips on how to unstick corroded zippers?
Thank you in advance
Yak

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I believe you are referring to zippers on the dodger. If so, you can take a side cutter and cut from the front of the zipper and separate the bottom and top piece. This is the only way to remove them. You can then purchase new zipper slider and remove the stoppers at the end of the zipper and install new zipper slider and reinstall the stoppers. You can buy new YKK zipper slider from Sailrite. I lubricated them with cutting board oil which was pastelike. I believe the common size in #10. That means the width of the zipper is 10 millimeters. Watch videos of how to perform this surgery.

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Try Starbrite snap and zipper lube.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I believe you are referring to zippers on the dodger. If so, you can take a side cutter and cut from the front of the zipper and separate the bottom and top piece. This is the only way to remove them. You can then purchase new zipper slider and remove the stoppers at the end of the zipper and install new zipper slider and reinstall the stoppers. You can buy new YKK zipper slider from Sailrite. I lubricated them with cutting board oil which was pastelike. I believe the common size in #10. That means the width of the zipper is 10 millimeters. Watch videos of how to perform this surgery.
His Islander 28 has a vinyl headliner in the cabin. It's held in place with zippers.

Sep 13, 2023
Islander 28 Long Beach
Thank you everyone for the responses - "Siamese" is correct with the headliner response.
The headliner seems to be in fairly good condition for the most part except for the corroded zippers - I purchased some zipper slider replacements and will attempt to fix them, fingers crossed.

I was thinking of maybe pulling the headliner and painting the roof, but it would take away from the warmth of the cabin.
Any Ideas on removing the headliner?

Again thank you for your help
Yak

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
If you can't get the zippers started, that's tough. All I can think of is a drastic scenario where you use a razor knife to cut away the entire zipper to free the panels from the roof. Then, sew on new zippers. Piece of cake if you took it to someone who does upholstery. Not having had or ever taken a close look at a zippered overhead, I'm just guessing here.

While you have the headliner down, maybe a nice time to clean them?

I'd do just about anything to avoid painting and having it look....marginal?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Check out the Ericson (EYO) yacht forum. Lots of threads (no pun intended) on zippers, as Ericson used these extensively.