is this keel weighted enough for a beginner,?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Sollers

A Little Tender?

If your Seidelmann 24 is anything like our 29.9, you heel, A LOT. We took some time in getting used to 30 degrees in a fifteen knot wind, and up to 40 in a 20+. It also took a little tuning, raking the mast back, to get her to point well without a lot of rudder. Now that we've owned the boat for two years, we find that this is normal. The characteristics that give the boat good speed and handling at low wind speeds make for a lot of heel at higher wind speeds. We have also found that at fourty degrees she solidifies right out, and stays there. One of our solutions is that if the wind rises above 15 we let off a little main sail to help her point better, and above 20 knots we take in a little headsail (roller reefing) to reduce the power. Last year we pu a reef in the main when the winds were above 24knots and she handled well. I hope this gives you some confidence in the boat, and that you enjoy the sailing. Again, if the 24 is like the 29.9, you should love her performance at lower wind speeds. Let us know how you do. J Sollers

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
when to reef

You might try reefing the main, headsail or both a little earlier. I find that at about 30 degrees of heel I can reef the main with out loss of speed. This is usually occurs when wind speed is above 17kts.

RayK

Aug 17, 2005
Seidelmann 25 Bedford
Yes they are tender

I have a 1978 S25 and it is very tender. However, it is very stable when heeled over with the rail in the water. I typically let out the main to control things, with stronger winds I will also slack off on the foresail. I wonder if anyone else has a S25 that they may have done any modifications to the keel to resolve this??? Re raking the mast back on the 29.9; my 25 has a fixed back stay and both the forestay and backstay have very little left in adjustment once tensioned. Can you explain the "physics" of the raked main resulting in higher pointing - very interested in this!! Altering your course a little and letting the sails out a little will probably cure your concerns, but sometimes it is just too much fun to let her go....

T

Tony

Seidelman-beginner

thanks too all for your responses, they help. Tony the beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.