Is this how it begins?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Forget three foot itis, I think I may be contracting ten foot itis!

i Love trailer boats because I love to sail different places. last year we sailed several different places in northern lake Michigan (including bay de Noc and Grand traverse bay), and we sailed on the Keweenaw Peninsula adjacent to Lake Superior, without actually venturing into the big lake (blame Gordon Lightfoot).

anyway, I’m thinking about getting a slip on lake st. Clair this summer.

the logic goes that we could still trailer the boat, but it would be rigged and ready, an hour from home, between trips.

then I start to question, “we still COULD trailer it, but would we? And if we don’t trailer it, would a 27‘ boat be better than a 18’ boat.

at least it gives me something to ponder in the winter months.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Better is a pretty subjective term - it depends on what you want to do with the boat - generally bigger is better for sailing and it is definitely better for comfort. And there's also the cost, which doesn't rise linearly along with the length.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
@dmax is correct. The cost goes up exponentially. Think it through thoroughly before you drink the Kool-aid. There's no going back. Jus' sayin'.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The guy that bought my 19' already had a 28' boat. He bought mine so he could sail the Apostle Islands instead of hiring a company to transport his bigger boat. The small trailer sailor definitely has its advantages

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I still think the 18 is my dream boat.

I can get from lake St Clair to Grand Traverse Bay in about 6 hours. I think it would be a week with a 30 foot boat (or a hard three days).

it’s not much for overnighting on, but I love it under sail.