Is this C-Lark 14 salvageable?

Dirk62

Oct 10, 2024
Clark C-Lark 14 Port Susan
Hi, I just bought a C-Lark 14 in an estate sale. It appeared to be in much better condition than the one I sold years ago. However, when I investigated a delaminated area of the deck, it turned out to be pretty bad. For reference in the pic, the centerboard-well is on the right, and the wood structure to the left is a mast-stepping socket rigged by the former owner. It occurs to me now that the boat was stored by his kids with the trailer-tongue down, and this area was no only soaked but we also had some freakishly (for Puget Sound) cold freezes last winter, so likely swelled badly as well. Its not rotted but is completely delaminated and compromised.

Anyone familiar with internal C-Lark structure? Or is there still a contact for the original company? I'm pretty handy with fiberglass but also know that I'll never recoup my efforts. Might be easier to find a different boat, but the rest of this hull is so good its a shame to scrap it.
C-Lark.JPG

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The determination point is what you would give up completing the task?

Some monetary expense but time is likely the bigger issue. Weigh the required time against your other obligations and the affect your neglect would have on those obligations.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you love the design or have great memories you wish to recreate - maybe. Do you have children? Maybe a good family project. But realistically if you want a family project I would look for a boat kit from any number of venters.
To me that C Lark looks like a good bonfire. Might be hard to light.
And, for the general gestalt, can we stop blaming the PO posthumously. The poor bastard is pushing up tulips and we're complaining about his wiring decisions.

Dirk62

Oct 10, 2024
Clark C-Lark 14 Port Susan
Thanks for all the replies, folks. Shemandr, I fear you might be right and I'll have to do some hard thinking about this, once I let it dry out. And I heartily agree with your principle, regarding the PO; for the general record, no blame was assigned or even implied. The "socket" I mentioned was a physical socket for the base of the mast, which had nothing to do with this issue - it merely provided reference to the location of the damage. No "wiring" on this boat, except the trailer:)
(I'm old enough to know a few guys have scratched their heads over decisions I made with past vehicles, home-improvements, etc!)
Thanks again, all!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
[QUOTE="Dirk62, post: 1828223, member: 165918”] ... no blame was assigned or even implied... [/QUOTE]
Agreed. I have a history of posts poking fun at criticisms of PO’s actions. It just caught my attention that the boat came to you through an estate settlement which triggered my post. Apologies to OP and deceased for any implication that the OP was blaming the PO.