Is this a scam or what?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I got a strange call from a guy with a German accent who says he is from South Africa and wants to buy a boat to transport people from one end of a lake to the other end (a kind of humanitarian thing). He asked about how it might be shipped and if I knew the cost. He also asked how many lessons the sale included. He finished with he'd need to do his due diligence and find out about shipping. He also wanted to know when he could see the boat.
Does this fit the description of any of the latest Craigslist scams? I am well aware of the Nigerian scams with forged cashiers checks. Why would someone use complicated story than involve Africa of all places. Coincidentally I showed the boat to a guy on Saturday who also had a German accent. He came with his teenage son.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Verify contact details; include everything in and follow the contract; get reciepts signed; make no promises or guarantees; take only cash.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Of course it is a scam. Anyone who calls with that kind of detail is scamming. The key is "that kind of detail". Read all the scam emails, there is way too much information presented. Usually you have to beat information out of people to get reasons why they want to do something.

I wouldn't run away, I would just say "not for sale" and be done with it.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
if has cash=no scam--if doesnt and needs to pay in any other medium of exchange---i would run. but i would definitly take the cash. cant get tooo picky--wont ever sell the boat....

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Zeehag we're in your neck of the oceqn.

if has cash=no scam--if doesnt and needs to pay in any other medium of exchange---i would run. but i would definitly take the cash. cant get tooo picky--wont ever sell the boat....
Visiting San Diego for a couple of days. Going to look up a Sunbrella vendor. Sells her ares for $10/yd. Let you know how it works out.
@rogjt now at@Sea Port Villahe keeping the missus happy.
Good news sold the Mac on Sunday.