Is the Mac 26x a good sail boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Art

I just read some very negitive comments on www.sailnet.com forum about the sailing characteristics of the Mac26x. One comment stated "owners get so fustrated trying to sail the mac that they choose to just motor around instead" and.. "if you are a sailer first you will not enjoy the sailing experience". I am planning on buying a new mac26x in the spring and don't want any suprises. Can anyone comment on their experience in sailing the mac26x. How would you rate her as a sailboat? Thank you in advance. Art

K

Kevin Barry

Sailing the Mac

Hi, I got a Mac 26x this year, and I have been having a blast. It sails fine under varied conditions. I've had it up to 7.5 knots upwind and a little more downwind. Most mac sailors will tell you that it dosen't point well into the wind and that's true. But you can modify the mast rake and add a few other touches that increase the performance. For a boat that sails well and motors well, you can't beat the mac. If you want to win sailboat races then the mac isn't for you. I ran against a Hunter 260 saturday for over 5 miles. We stayed virtually parallel the entire run. And the best part is, when I decide to head home, I power up to 15 -20 knots and have a blast! Find someone to give you a test sail. Check out the mac 26x sailnet listserve. The folks there will be more than glad to share their thoughts. You can sign up by visiting the link below. Click on the 26x list serve. Best wishes, Kevin

N

Nanci E Donacki

Re: Mac Sailing Characteristics

We, too, just got our Mac26 this year and are having a gret time sailing it. So far on the Patapsco River, we've had it at 6.5 knots and sailed effortlessly down the river and up to inner harbr. It handles easily and tacks well. Even in changing wind gusts, we've found that we can easily manage sailing. It's not a racing sailboat, nor is it a blue water boat, but around the rivers and bays. One of the downsides that we've encountered is handling in power boat wake. Depending on the size of the wake it can be sluggish to reespond to helm. For a first boat/first sailboat, it's a good choice. But again it depends on your experience. If you don't have lots of sailing experience it's a good boat to hone your skills. If you have had years of experience, your views will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.