IS THE 17 BIG ENOUGH FOR SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert

OK, I've posted elsewhere but I will now ask you, the experts of the 17. I have a family of six, 2 adults and four kids, 10,8,6,5. If I had my way and was rich, I would but a big boat over 30 feet, keep it in the water and we would all be happy. However, I am not rich. Plan B is to have a boat that I can trailer, drop in a lake and have fun sailing for hours with the whole family. So, will the 17 hold all of us? Is there an anchor with this boat, or are stuck dropping sail or beaching? Is there a cabin at all for a cooler or a porta potty? Or does everyone go swiming? Thank you one and all. The 17 fits within the budget. Go Spartins!!!!!! and hey, the Lions won!

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
6? No problem!

I've safely sailed my 170 on several occasions with 6 people (4 adults and 2 kids) when I was pretty much the only person aboard who knew what I was doing. You can certainly fit 2 adults and 4 kids, but it's going to be crowded. There is no cabin. The only place to store anything with 6 in the cockpit would be in the small forward storage area - about big enough for a large cooler, an anchor (if you must have one) and little else. You really don't want to be using a porta-potty on this boat, especially if you have any modesty. While you can sail with 6, I wouldn't want to be on a 170 for many hours with that many. I'd try to find a launch location near a beach so that some can swim, fish, etc., from shore while others sail. This also offers an alternative to the nautical porta-potty when relief is necessary. Beaching is a piece of cake so long as you remember to disconnect the bungee cord BEFORE trying to raise the centerboard. (I can personally testify to the difficulty of disconnecting it after you jam the centerboard into a muddy bottom!) If you must have a small cabin, you may want to consider the 216. It's bigger, a lot heavier, and has a small, windowless "cabin". It also costs almost twice what a 170 does. Find a Hunter dealer in your area and take a look at both boats, then decide what will work best given your needs and budget. You should ask to take a "test drive" (bring your family too) - my dealer in Dallas, TX obliged me with one. I'd be interested to hear what you decide. Please post again once you've made your decision.

J

john12527

can you?

I have been on my 170 with 6 people (two adults, one adultling and three kids) and it worked really well, it was a short sail in calm wind. I think the better plan is that both adults are comfortable going out with two kids, so three sail for an hour or so while the other three play at the beach, then you switch. I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old. My biggest problem is that they don't sit still in the boat much. Oddly enough they will sit still in a kayak for hours, but then where can they go?? Anyway, they like to sit by the tiller and dangle their feet in the water, and they like to hide under the cargo cover. I have found, at least for my kids, sailing is only fun if they have something to do. With myself and the two kids I can find jobs for everyone, even with my wife and two kids I can find jobs for all four. With six it was a little harder. One kid's job was to haul up the centerboard, then I had to make sure I sailed over a sand bar so he could do it. Anyway there is plenty of room. john

S

Steve O.

don't do it

4 people is too many on a 17' boat. It will be cramped and the kids won't have fun. Do yourself a favor and look for a used but larger boat.

J

Joe

Tight!

Have been out with my 170 in a stiff breeze...reefed main, 4 adults & 2 kids. Boat handled it well but noted quite a backwash coming occasionally 3' up into the cockpit due to weight, distribution (open transom). Everyone enjoyed the 45 min ride but wouldn't make a habit of it. Joe

Jun 8, 2004
- - Owensboro, KY
Bigger

With four children under the age of 10 I would recommend going to a larger boat with a small cabin or cuddy. Check the Catalina 22. I believe it is trailer friendly, i.e. set-up, and you can find one in decent shape for about the cost of a 170. I think if some weather blew-up on you it would be safer to put the kids in the cabin, plus you can take more "stuff" to keep them entertained, floats or noodles, or whatever if you just want to throw out the hook and let them swim. I had a H23 for a number of years - great boat but not the easiest to trailer, I ended up keeping mine in a slip. When my son was those ages he used to love the cabin. He could read, or play with toys, or nap, he had his own little world down there when he got tired of sailing. So for whatever my two cent's worth - the 170 is a fun boat but in your case go a little larger and I think you'll get years of safe and fun sailing.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
A little tight also

hey Lions fan, I've never sailed my 170 with 5 others, but imagine 6 might be kind of tight. And although the boat doesn't come with an anchor, or (obviously) a bow pulpit/windlass for handling same, I use a #8 danforth with 15' chain and 150' rode to great effect on my 170. Of course it sits in the forward storage area at cockpit level (not a cuddy cabin) and is somewhat akwardly accessed from the cockpit (and with six you'd be stepping over folks to reach it). She's a great boat though, and dropping sail and beaching is definitely an option with the swing centerboard/minimal draft. Also, when the breeze dies, dropping sail and just swimming off the back of the boat in the middle of the lake is also an option with the big open transom. LOTS of fun. Just stay close to the boat (a line hanging off its side helps as a grab-on should the boat drift). And if I avoid splashing and "sounding like a gator", I can even get my wife to join me for a swim! Bottomline, the 170's a great boat (fun, easy to rig), but tight for 6. Good luck, Mike s/v Lil Sport Alachua, FL

C

Chuck

Let someone stay on shore.

On two occasions we had six in the boat, but I wouldn't reccomend it as a regular practice. It is best with no more than four. Not only is it tight with 6, there is no ability to shift load when switching tacks. All you can do is have the windward side hike out more. That is OK if you are in light winds, but not much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.