Is separation for the best?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I tried an inexpensive synthetic lower lube on my motors last season. One looked looked as expected with no water and the other kind of surprised me. I expected a small amount of water but what was different is that it the water that came out for the first 10 seconds was completely clear while the oil did not have a milky appearance. The boat was pulled out of the water mid November and has sat since. Is this lack of emulsion good or bad?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
46yo OMC Saildrive. Very high risk to take it apart as the plastic is brittle and parts are unavailable. Pretty much all owners see some water at the end of the season. I'd like to focus on the lube, not the motor please

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I think if the motor sat for a few month the oil and water separated. It may be an emulsion while sloshing around with the greats spinning but will separate when sitting. I had ethanol fuel in a lawnmower totally separate over the winter. In a mason jar two distinct layers, one perfectly clear the other looked like gasoline.
now water in a gearbox is real bad.I hope you refilled with oil as the gears will rust.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
It will separate as it sits, especially in cold weather. It should never have water in it to begin with. I have a service manual on your saildrive if you want it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thanks for the confirmation. I've never seen it separate like this before. It's always emulsified, even months later

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Thanks for the confirmation. I've never seen it separate like this before. It's always emulsified, even months later
Likely caused by the change to an inexpensive lube since everything else is the same.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Likely caused by the change to an inexpensive lube since everything else is the same.
So this once again raises the question - is this a good or bad thing? If the water sinks to the bottom below the gears and bearings it seems like it's good. If it emulsifies then water is all over the place but on the other hand, perhaps it provides some protection?? Can one of our resident chemists shed some light on this? @rgranger @thinwater

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I can’t say if emulsion provides protection. But my gut says to keep the water out.. then you do t have to wonder. I’d be looking at your gaskets etc.

• Helpful
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I can’t say if emulsion provides protection. But my gut says to keep the water out.. then you do t have to wonder. I’d be looking at your gaskets etc.
It's a 46 year old motor with parts that are impossible to get. Foremost expert on these, who is a marine mechanic, advises against it as it's easy to break plastic parts inside it

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Your subject title could have been better. My 1st thought was yah seperation before divorce.