Is sailing the 26 as nice as the video shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan

I have watched the video several times and hope to purchase a 26 this year. I live in Seattle and think that I would enjoy the times I could spend in Puget Sound. I would like to ask in purchasing a new boat is it best to get as many options loaded at the original purchase or go to a 3rd party after I purchase the MacGregor and add some features at a later time. How loaded should or what options should I make sure to get when purchasing my first boat? Thank you for all you comments in this forum, your comments help us beginners greatly.

D

dan

Install Mainsail Controls

Hi Dan..... The Mac 26X is a great motorsailor. You will need the following to make it FUN ! (and SAFE!) 1.Trailor side bumper rails 2.Shackles with threaded or keyed pins(NO rings! 3.Roller reefing genoa 4.Mainsail controls to cockpit(a MUST!) 5.VHF Radio 6.Depth Sounder 7.Two Batteries with 1/2/Both switching 8.Masthead light(for mooring out at night) 9.Bilge pump with auto switch.Hand bilge pump 10.Two 9 gallon gas tanks 11.Cleats for everything left with a jam cleat 12.Anchor roller 13.Bug screens for forward hatch and cabin door 14.Topping lift line for boom 15.Bimini 16.Mast raising system 17.Backstay adjuster I added all this to my 98'26X and now it's starting to feel like a safe sailboat to stay out all weekend in tough conditions which WILL happen ! Happy sailing........dan

J

Jamie

Great deals for the 26X

If you want to save a few dollars I would suggest looking for a boat that is a couple of years old. It may be used but if you find the right one there will be a lot less work for yourself because they have already done the necessary changes. As for the actual sailing of this vessel, it does not sail as well as the older model Magregors due to it's hull shape. There's nothing that you can do to change it, it's just a matter of whether you are willing to give up that performance for other benefits. The actual measure of difference between the two sailing vessels is a matter of opinion. Good luck finding your boat!

V

vaughn

Beware low tides

I am having a good time LEARNING to launch and sail my new 2001 26x (50hp). But I have found the videos made it look too easy. I thought I could use ramps whenever I felt like coming out. Beware low tides. One day I went in just fine, but to get the boat OUT when the tide was low (and this was on a river)was quite a problem; my muffler was practicing SCUBA and the river was just splashing over my 4x4 floorboards! (But it worked.) Some of our ramps "end" with a sharp drop off. I dropped the trailer wheels past the ramp end going in - which was ok - the boat floats off and you can either lift the trailer or just yank it up (like I did and mangled a light.) But that would never work with a heavy boat on the trailer. Tonight I deliberately waited til 2.5 hours past low to haul out at an "end" ramp and had no trouble winching the bow into the nose. I like to try different ramps around the Bay - so every launch so far (6) has been a new discovery and adventure. Now I always print out the tide charts for the ramp where I plan to launch. Good luck and enjoy. V. (and be wary that your PROP is now the lowest part of your boat when you approach shallow water - I'm on my second one already).

M

Michael Shomate

Dan --> need more info.

Dan: I took delivery of a new 26x about 6 weeks ago. I have most of you list now, but I would like more info. on how you rigged your Topping lift line for boom and Bug screens for forward hatch and cabin door. If you could email me a description (and pictures would be helpful too) I would greatly appreciate it. Michael Shomate mshomate@bellsouth.net Charlotte, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.